We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Rockhill

So this is what my son looks like when I put him to bed. He pulls on his music and just passes out. He is so cute I can't stand it. He has been going to bed pretty well each night. He doesn't like to go to sleep, but when I read him a book he got from his aunt Denise (Denise, it is his favorite book so far) he settles down and goes right to bed.


I gave him his first Red Sox hat today. He was so excited. It's a children's size hat but he's swimming in it. He has no idea what baseball is, he thinks it's cricket!

This is Isaac with Paye (a driver and security for Patty at AoH). Paye is a big man in Liberia. Isaac loves his Uncle Paye.


Yes my son is wearing fairy wings. I don't know how he got them, but I came back to the orphanage after shooting some footage for a documentary I'm shooting for AoH and he was running around with wings on. It was so funny.

Today I went to Rockhill. Rockhill is a place where woman, children, and the disabled pound rocks all day long. The rocks are used for construction and roads. They cut into the hill, then break the rocks down smaller from there. They work about 12 hours a day and make roughly 40 cents a day. I witnessed a woman 8 months pregnant and her 4 year old daughter pounding rocks. Children are born into Rockhill and will never leave. Their children will be born into it, and will also never leave. It is a community of 15,000 people and there is no well or handpump for water. There is only 1 source of water for all the people and it's disgusting.

It was a real eye opener to see the life my son would possibly live if he stayed in Liberia, being "disabled" because of his back. In America we would not even allow our prisoners to do this kind of labor and here it is normal for the disabled and children to pound rocks all day long. Children lose eyes and fingers doing this work, and it's all they will ever know. It was an honor and a blessing to be able to go into this community and talk to these people and ask them what we can do to help. They want a school for their children. They want to give their children a chance at a better life. AoH is building a new school there, but it is going to take about $80,000 does anyone else feel a fundraiser coming on!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SURE DO!....BRING IT ON!

BLESSINGS!

Dale said...

Just wondering if Paye happens to be single ... you said yourself that Isaac LOVES his uncle Paye :) Thanks for giving us a glimpse of Liberia that not all of us may get the opportunity to see. Glad to hear you're still having a great time! Kim

Jamie said...

Loving your updates! That is unreal about Rockhill...I can't even imagine.

emily said...

Keep on educating girl!! On a lighter note, could Isaac get any cuter???

Blu and Darbi said...

Love the pics! Just curious...does it hurt Isaac to sleep on his back? Is he in a lot of pain because of his condition?
Can't wait to hear all of his impressions of America when ya'll get back!

Love,
Darbi

Jamie said...

Wow. That is sickening. Heart wrenching. Thank you for bringing it into the light so we can pray accordingly. Will we get to see your documentary? I'm soooo glad you're doing it. You truly are a great "stori" teller... from Rockhill to fairy wings--I laughed, I cried, you moved me... as usual!
Love,
Jamie Z. :0)

Anonymous said...

ok, first. Sooo glad he loves the book!!! YEA!!! Next, love, love the earphones! What's he listening to? Wow, maybe I'll buy earphones for Pelow! Now... about PAYE! Vera cute!! Vera strong!!! I'd like to take Paye with me as security!! Just think, you'd have built in security!! Hmmm...this is getting fun! Maybe we need a blog just for this!! Ohh..!! This could be our blogathon! Just kidding, haha! You could have Aries and Isaac as the jr bridesmaid and groomsmen. ok, Denise, stop. Now, about Rockhill..

wow. I cna'tn believe a place like that exists. Can I put that on my blog tomorrow? A 4yr. old pounding rocks. oh my gosh.

What can we do to help?

Love ,Denise

Tama said...

How does he do that thing with his legs? What a pretzel! BTW...He looks great in orange (and fairy wings) Ha!
I am really looking forward to this documentary. I can't imagine it not effecting many. You go girl!

S and K said...

Okay, your son is so incredibly handsome and sweet. I love it. I love the big girlie sunglasses too. I am buying him some of his own.

So, I teared up a bit when I read about rockhill and I got this horrible knot in my stomach thinking that could be Haddie's fate, if she were not coming home.

It's a bit overwhelming for me too b/c I know I can't adopt all those children and it makes me even more thankful for AoH.

Thanks for all you're doing over there! And yes, I feel a fundraiser coming on

Love,
KT

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing Jocelyn.

Isaac is a cutie!

Frank said...

Okay we have a family crisis and you haven't brought him home yet.
The RED SOX...Next thing you will buy him a Dallas Cowboy jersey. Remember your Roots girl, Phillies, Eagles or if you must Steelers but the RED SOX. I am wondering if we must repent on our shortcomings as a family in preparing you for parenting. LOL. Can't wait to see you
Love
Uncle Frank

Farrah said...

I'm so floored at the way other countries have to live..And it breaks my heart into a million pieces. Thank you for sharing that info.