So I sat down with "the team" yesterday. This is the group of doctors and therapists that are following Isaac while he recovers at CHOLA. They told me that it will be a 6-8 week minimum stay and then they will reassess Isaac and if he is making a lot of progress they will have him stay longer to continue working with him. If he hits a plateau or starts walking they will send him home and he will continue to have out-patient rehab.
Dr. Craig did say that he believes that Isaac will snowboard again, it just might take a while. Isaac's in better spirits as his back begins to feel better. Right now in PT/OT they aren't focusing on Isaac standing or walking. Right now they are working on him being in a wheelchair and learning how to live like that first. At the moment Isaac's legs can't hold any weight at all and until the pain in his back is completely gone, they can't get him up and moving.
They said that he could go home in a wheelchair (which will be interesting since we are on a 2nd floor with no wheelchair access in the complex and carpet floors), with a walker, or with braces on his legs. I'm praying for nothing more than a cane or crutches or braces at the most.
Isaac is able to sit up by himself and is wheeling himself around the dome with no problems. He's making friends and keeping busy so he's starting to adjust. I'm able to go home during the week at night to sleep at the house (which is nice since sleeping at the hospital is almost impossible)! Isaac is sleeping through the night which is also a big deal and is able to get his brace on without too much pain.
It looks like we will be missing at least the first month of school which is sad, but we're looking into what this will do to him. I hate that he won't be able to start school with everyone else, he was really looking forward to that. At this point I'm hoping and praying that by this time next year Isaac will be able to do all the things he did before the surgery and that life will be back to normal.
Thank you to everyone that has been sending Isaac cards, gifts, stickers, music, and food. He really loves to open up cards from people and have me read them to him over and over again. It means the world to him! When I find the time I'll upload some new photos of Isaac!
3 comments:
J,
just caught up on your blog but you haven't been out of our prayers!!
So glad to hear things are getting better and that Isaac is managing his wheelchair. We love you both and will continue to pray for healing, energy, joy, and hope for all the days ahead.
Kt B.
If you are stuck in thehospital here is a good list of stuff to do for kids
http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/shannon/2008/05/holy-shmokes-th.html
I just posted our 'Dancing for Isaac' post. I called out to all my friends and family to participate and send that little guy some lovin.
Post a Comment