We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Good News & hair cuts & running oh my!

So today they took Isaac in for surgery at 7:30am... at 8:30 they came in and told us they had begun (took and hour to knock him out and prep)... at 9:30 they came in and said they were done and closing him up... 10:30am we were in recovery and Isaac was awake enough to inform us he was done with recovery and wanted to go back to his room!

He's in some pain since they had to open the entire incision, but he's doing really well. I'm actually really surprised. I expected him to be more like the first time and he's not at all. If we could convince the docs to take out his catheter, I truly believe he would be doing great, but that things is not making him happy.

The surgery was successful. They won't know for a while if it helped the legs at all, but it didn't do anymore damage. Isaac is able to wiggle all toes, and can bend his legs when he wants too.

Dr. Craig (head of PT @ CHOLA) came and took a look at Isaac yesterday. He said with all confidence that Isaac WILL walk again, it will just take a little time and work. Isaac should be transferred to "The Dome" (6 North or the PT tower) @ CHOLA beginning of this week. I'm hoping for Tuesday, but who knows. Once there he will have 3 hours of PT a day, 1 hour of private tutoring, and 2-3 hours of activities. So that should keep him pretty busy while I finish up the show I'm on.
So that's it for Isaac. My mom is here till Monday at noon, (she changed her flight!) So I have a little bit more help which is great, once she's gone I'll be depending on some close friends to help me out, but I'm looking forward to seeing my son walk again.


As for hair cuts, they say when you are going through it, don't make rushed decisions or doing anything in hast. Well pooh on that... I needed a change so I cut my hair. The girl that did it also did my makeup when I was done, which made me feel like a woman again. (I haven't had on makeup since July 7th!)... I'm hoping the cut will help me attract some cute single doctors! (I figure that has to be a consolation prize for our extended stay, cute, single, christian doctor!) Just kidding... no I'm not!

As for Running... I have decided that for every step my son can't take in all this, I'm going to run one for him. Isaac's biggest issue right now isn't his lack of legs use... it's his fear about his lack of leg use. He is so afraid, so scared, so terrified, that it overcomes him and he falls apart. He wants so bad to walk out of that hospital right now and go home, and he can't. For me, I've been in this sad mindset, not knowing what will happen. So afraid, but having to hide it all the time so he doesn't see. Well I need to channel that fear into something.

Last year around this time as I waited for Isaac to come home I started running. Anyone that knows me, knows that I don't run. I think running is of the devil (seriously) who in there right mind would ever get up in the morning and say "I want to go running, ohh, I can't wait to move my body really fast, oh so early in the morning!"

Well when I ran last year it passed the time, helped me set goals and got me through the waiting. I find myself waiting once more, and I am NOT a patient person at all! So I'm gonna run, until Isaac can run for himself!

I took this picture of Isaac a few weeks before surgery. I want, and I pray, and I yearn for this Isaac back. I know he's in there. I can see him deep inside wanting to come out... he's just so afraid!

Pray my boy finds that amazing strength he once had...

11 comments:

S and K said...

We have been praying all day for you and I and were so thankful to hear the news. We packed up our house yesterday adn today and seriously... WE CANT FIND ONE DOG ON PHONE!

So, we heard your message on our answer machine, but were helpless and sooo frustrated to not be able to find a phone to answer your call.

Off to wal mart to buy a phone!

Love ya,
Katy

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!

Pam said...

Praying hard for you both!

Farrah said...

So happy to hear he had another successful surgery. He will be fine, That little boy is a fighter.

and your hair looks great, Come home DR....lol

And the last picture would be great to have Issac back and I would be happy to have some drinks off the top shelf...Pina Coloda Please!!!!

Brandi said...

Praying my sweet friend! We are going to stand amazed as we watch God work in I! I can't wait!

I love the new hair, by the way. . .and running? Come on girl! Join the club! I can't even believe I'm the one saying that to someone!

Love you,
Bran

Aimee said...

This non runner will run too for Isaac and for you.

Stacie said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your amazing son!

Amanda said...

I'm glad to hear that the surgery is over. I know its a long road ahead but you and Issac can fight through it. I'm running right now to get through the waiting. I also run because some of my children may not. I've been blessed with the gift to run(even though I'm really bad). I'll think of Issac as I'm running.

missy said...

How wonderfully encouraging for the doc to say "Isaac WILL walk again". Your haircut looks beautiful and I think running for Isaac is an inspirational idea.
Love,
Missy

Anonymous said...

We've been praying daily, and trust that God has his perfect timing and reasons for this. I know how hard it is to see your little one discouraged. Love, Denise

Anonymous said...

The prayers for your son stretch far and wide across this country