We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 2

If you would like to send Isaac a card here's the info!

Isaac Tarquini
4730 Park Granada
Unit 227
Calabasas, CA 91302

2:34pm~ So here is the latest. They have taken the ventilator out of Isaac. This made him happy (well as happy as he can be). The vein that blew out isn't as badly burned as they thought it would be so that's great. Isaac has been able to move his right foot and bend his right leg, but his left leg seems to be still having issues. He can flick his one toe but he can't bend the leg or do anything else with it. You can tell this upsets him. They did move him for the first time to do an x-ray and that didn't go too well. It hurt him pretty bad, but he seems to be doing ok since they finished. He is talking a little bit and has had a little tiny bit to drink which is good!


Other than that nothing to report yet. The photo I have upload was Isaac trying to crack a smile. You can see how it went. He is really being an amazing trooper. He is handling all this with grace. I'll update again soon.

4:04 am ~ Okay so here is what's happening. I'm going to explain it the best I can. Dr. Tolo went in and had a very successful correction but when he woke Isaac up to move his legs Isaac couldn't do it. Dr. Tolo came in talked to us and then went right back into surgery. They had corrected Isaac from a 140 degree curve to about a 60 degree curve. But they went back in and changed he correction back about 10 degrees allowing him a little less change and a little more room for him spine to feel "normal".

The problem is that Isaac's spine has been stretched over the knuckles of the bones for 7 years, and now it's where it should be and it's not happy. Dr. Tolo came into the consult room after about 14 hours of surgery and said they had Positive read outs on the brain tests they had done to check his leg function but that Isaac still wasn't moving his legs. But Dr. Tolo felt that with how long Isaac had been under and everything his body had gone through that they had done all they could and would have to just wait.

Dr. Tolo said he was optimistic that Isaac's legs would move as the spine settles. They transferred Isaac to the ICU where he is now. He's swollen in the face and still has a breathing tube. They are keeping him on some strong pain killers that are keeping him drowsy, but he knows we are there and nods his head and opens his eyes to look at me.

I got about an hour of sleep and then went back in to check on him. They are giving him some drugs to help keep his blood pressure high. This allows for good blood flow to the spine helping him to heal. But the drugs were to much for his veins and he blew a vein causing an interior burn where the vein blew and the drugs pooled into his blood stream. They pulled the line and are flushing his system. They're going to try it again in his foot and see if the vein will be large enough to handle the meds.

Also when I walked in Praise God my son's feet and legs were moving. Not much but they are moving. He can't move his legs on command and when asked he shakes his head "no"! But he said he can feel it when we poke his feet and there was some flickering of the legs. Dr. Tolo said flickering is huge. So I'm holding onto that. The left leg is moving moving more than the right. Dr. Tolo did say that the right leg showed the most issues throughout surgery, so this seems to be expected.

So please continue to pray. Isaac's in a lot of pain, his front chest is all bruised and swollen but let me tell you I stole a look at his back and it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Even with only a 50 % correction it looks amazing.

Please pray for Isaac to start getting those feet moving, that his veins will hold up, that the ventilator can come out, and that the pain will subside. Also pray for Dr. Tolo and his staff as he was here late into the morning and has 2 surgeries today.

Thank you all so much and I will update again in a few hours!

24 comments:

orange1986 said...

Jocelyn
You and Issac are such strong people.Im sure that all will be good. I will keep you in my prayers.

All 8 of Us said...

Continuing to pray for Issac! Thanks for the updates...he is on our heart!Rejoicing today ion the good news and praying for continued healing~
Blessings,
kathi

Krystal said...

This has got to be so tough for both of you right now. I am praying for a smooth, quick, and complete recovery for Isaac. I am praying that the vent is removed asap, and I think he will feel much better when it is!

Farrah said...

WOW what a night for all of you...Issac is in good hands and I will keep him in my thoughts today as he begins the healing process!!

Matt and Lindsey said...

We're still praying for you all! Thanks for all the updates! Wow, what a day you had yesterday! I'm glad there is some wiggling going on in those little feet and legs! I know we don't know you personally, but I talk to my hubby and kiddos about you guys by name and everyone "knows" who I'm talking about. I rejoice in the path that God has led you on and am so thankful that you were obedient to His call. I'm so thrilled that you and Isaac have each other! Praying that God will continue to carry you through this day and everyday...for when we are weak, He is incredibly strong!

Tama said...

We are praying! God is Big!

Faith said...

Continuing to pray for Isaac!
Blessings...

Bingaling said...

Praying for you both...Hang in there and tell Isaac that lots of people are praying for him!
Chanda

Holly said...

Prayers for healing in his little body, for rest, for peace, for the surgeon and other medical attendants and for the LIGHT of Jesus to shine through Isaac's healing!

Jie Jie to Sarah Lu and Chayah Ru said...

I'm praying!!! My older sister had a spinal fusion and I know how tough it is... Praying for you and for Isaac!
~Staci
www.meimeiadventures.wordpress.com

Dono & Laurie said...

wow what a day!!! praying for isaac's recovery and your rest!
love you!
Laurie

Melissa said...

Praying for you and Issac.

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn,

Praying for Isaac and for peace and rest for his mama.

Diane Krenz

Anonymous said...

Praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes! What a powerful period of time. You guys are in the prayers of many. If you know anyone who is a Reiki practitioner - that can really be helpful in decreasing discomfort and increasing the healing process. May his young little body sprout strong like a shoot out of cement!!!! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

You dont me, but I've been following your blog for a long time, :)) I am so proud of you and how strong you are, words cant describe how truly wonderful and inspiring I think you are. My thought are with you and Issac, please feel the prayers coming your way. Stay strong and give that boy some major kisses from AZ

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for Isaac, family and physicians. May his recovery be remarkable!

God Bless,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

You are both in my thoughts

Apryl said...

I just found yoru blog linked from Deniseinsc's. My daughter also has Pott's disease--just home from Ethiopia for 2 months. I'm reading about your past two days and just praying that your son recovers and his back heals quickly. Saw our ortho surgeon today and if all goes very well my daughter may last 6 months before she needs surgery (trying to get as many meds in as possible).

Praying for YOU and your son!
apryl

Single PAP said...

prayers your way for you and little isaac.

Anonymous said...

Please if that is your private address take it off there for safety. You can never be too careful these days.

I have been reading your blog for months and wish you and your sweet son all the best. May he have a smooth recovery and much success in the future.

God bless!

Angel said...

Oh girl.. I just have tears in my eyes. I am so sorry he is hurting and so relieved he is OK. Hugs, Angel

Grandmom said...

Greg called to give an "Isaac update" and ask us to pray. We are keeping Isaac in our prayers -- thanking God for healing and His perfect wisdom. Also praying for you, Jocelyn, that you'll feel His arms of peace around you.
Tell Isaac we're praying and love him,
Judi in PA

Ohilda said...

Lifting everyone involved up to our Heavenly Father, especially sweet Isaac. Continue to have faith that the Great Healer is at Isaac's side and that all will be well.