We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Surgery Day July 8th 2008!

8:30~This is Charity signing on.
Dr. Tolo completed the surgery, but when they woke Isaac up to check his progress, he wasn't able to move his legs.
They just went back in to open him up again, and to try to find the problem. Please join us in praying for Issac. Pray that he gets full function back in his legs and that they can finish the surgery.
It has been 12 hours and Dr.Tolo has got to be exhausted..and it looks like they may have quite a few hours ahead of them.
Please also pray for Jocelyn as well as her friends and family. Pray that they will have strength for the hours ahead.
-Charity

6:00pm~So they are done "coring" in Isaac's spine which is where they make the correction by coring into the bone in the spine. Right now they are installing the rods and cage and are closing. They said that they had to remove a few of Isaac's ribs and that they were the size of toothpicks. We have surpassed the 9 hour mark, but they said that Isaac has been incredible. It has gone so smoothly, but they are working very slowly because of how sensitive the area is. We should be done in about an hour... pray we are done in an hour. I am done. I'm so tired and Isaac has been under for more than 10 hours. They also were able to give him back some of his own blood which they said is good. So he's doing so well. I can't wait to see him.

This has all been so surreal. I have been walking around today in a weird daze. It feels like I am waiting to pick him up from school or something. It feels strange to me that his bump is pretty much gone. I can't wait to see him... so we are almost there!

3:30pm~ We just got an update. They are about 2.5 hours from being finished. They have been pretty successful and they are installing rods on the exterior of the spine and a cage on the interior portion of the spine. The felt that both were necessary to complete the stabilization
. They will be finishing up installing the hardware and will then close him up. I should have another update in about 1.5 hours. Dr. Tolo's PA Ali said that Isaac is doing really well so far and it has gone pretty smoothly!

12:30pm~Ok I found out that it took about 2 hours just to access the damaged area. Now that they are there they're applying screws and temporary rods so that they can stabilize the spine. Once he's stabilized they will begin to actually take out the damaged area and begin to fix the curvature. So he's right on track so far and is doing well! More to come!


11:25am~ They just called up and everything is going fine. They are beginning to put the screws into the bones... to be honest I have no idea what this means or where it puts us in the surgery, but they did say he is doing well... I'm going to go and find out what this all means!

9:15am~ Isaac's in surgery... they gave him the "happy juice" and he was zonked out. It was pretty funny. He seemed ready going in there. They did say two weeks ago that they could fix him 80-90% and are now saying 40-60% so he will still have some sort of bump when they are done, it with just be a lot smaller. I'll update as we go!


16 comments:

Krystal said...

I am praying for Isaac's healing during this surgery! I pray that they can achieve far greater success than they ever realized :)

All 8 of Us said...

Great, keep those updates coming!! Still praying here!
Blessings,kathi

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you sweet boy!.
And mama!

Anonymous said...

praying constantly...denise

Holly said...

Praying for Isaac and Emmanuel- two very special boys both born in Liberia, ordained to find their family in America and having surgeries on the SAME day.
May God bring about healing in these boys and may hearts around the world be changed!
Holly

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates!

Faith said...

Continuing to pray! The kids keep asking to pray for him (and E-man) throughout the day. We have prayed for Isaac many times today and will continue to do so!
Blessings...

Farrah said...

WOW I can't believe this day has come...Please keep us updated on his surgery and how he is doing once out of surgery...

Thanks

Bettina said...

My thoughts and prays are with you and Isaac :)

megatarian said...

I just recently came across your journal and I have to say that your story is inspiring! Isaac looks and sounds like such a wonderful little boy! He will be in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and fast recovery!

Anonymous said...

praying for you and your little man!!!
Pat Joyce

Jana said...

Praying for your son!!

Sintari said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. Praying for you, Isaac!!!

Frank said...

I have been in prayer for my great-nephew and he is a "great" nephew all day. Thanks for the updates sweetheart. We really do love you.
UNCLE FRANK

Angel said...

Oh my goodness Jocelyn. I am praying. I don't want to go to bed till I know all is well. Huge hugs from Texas, Angel

missy said...

oh my sweetheart, 10 hours...you must be so exhausted. I haven't been able to get you or Charity off my mind all day. I can't wait to hear that he's out. I'm with Angel, I don't think I will go to bed until then.
Love,
Missy