So from here on out I'll try to post once a day to let you all know what is going on. I might miss a day here and there so please bear with me!
I spoke with Dr. Tolo today. There's a decent chance they will need to do another surgery next week to fix a screw that's too close to the spinal cord. Tolo wants to wait and see how things go this weekend before we open Isaac up all over again. This second surgery would be much smaller but is still dangerous, since we're in the spine!
Also on Monday or Tuesday a doctor from the in house Physical Therapy will be coming by to evaluate Isaac and get him in a special program for kids with spinal injuries. It's a PT program for children admitted in the hospital. It's the best in southern California but to be in the program you have to stay admitted at the hospital. I have been told we are looking at week to months. On the bright side sometimes they let you leave for the weekend here and there and come back on Monday with a weekend pass!
So that is where we are. Dr. Tolo is confident that Isaac will walk again, and now it will be up to PT to get him there! Isaac is sitting and pulling himself up. He wore his brace for a while today which was great. His legs are moving if you ask him to, but other wise they don't move on there own. He does have to work to move them. Right now neither leg could hold his body weight at all so walking is out of the question. But there's movement and occasional pain in both legs so that is huge!
Thank you all for your prayers so far, we have felt them. For those of you in the area, Isaac is at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles @ 4650 Sunset Blvd. 90028! He's in room 614B! So if you want to stop by and say hello we love visitors (even if we have never met you!)
2 comments:
Promising news--so good to hear! I am praying for Isaac and you. Just found your blog through a Mom with kids from Ethiopia. Will have to go back and read your entire blog when I have time. God bless! Symona
Wow, what a few days you have had!! I wish we lived on the West Coast and could pop in on you and Isaac...right now prayers will have to do :) Thanks for the updates!! Glad to hear he can feel pain in those legs and is able to move them too. Rehab will work wonders....(I was a P.T. in my 'former' life :)!
Blessings,Kathi
Post a Comment