My mother once told me that she hoped that one day I would have a child just like me, so that I would know what it was like...well mom...CONGRATS. I am adopting Mini-Me. Isaac is the male African version of me.
Isaac is an insanely hard headed child. He has already begun to push me, to see how far he can go, and I think he's sad to find out that the leash is short.
When I sit him down to talk to him after he has done something wrong, he just stares at me, STONE COLD. Mom I know you're laughing right now, but it isn't funny! Don't get me wrong I have the sweetest kid in the world, but when he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it, he likes to have a melt down (tears and all)..
What he will soon find out is that we are two peas in a pod. I can melt down with the best of them and I can stare him down just as well as he can me. And yet at the same time, I know that this is all about the transitions he is going throug. Moving to America, new Ma, and no Pa (for now;) I know that there will be many, many melt downs.
And tomorrow I plan on having my own melt down. I have to walk away from son and convince him that I will be back soon. Just the thought of this has put me in tears more than once.
I packed up Isaac's drum and he started to play it through the duffle bag. He said, "ma you take my drum to america", "yes", "you put it in my room?" "yes", "okay". The thought that his drum will go unplayed for a few months, breaks my heart.
But I have been assured that Isaac's adoption will be pushed through quickly, and I know that my "special" phone call will come soon, saying "get your ticket, your hard-headed, mini-me is ready to be "carried" to America."
No comments:
Post a Comment