We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Los Angeles-Chicago-Brussels-Dakar-1/2 way to Liberia-Dakar-Liberia

We just landed in Chicago from Los Angeles, and I’m sitting at gate K7 at Chicago International Airport. I had to get off the plane so they could clean it up, before we head into the 8 hour flight to Brussels. I thought my flight was straight through, but to be honest it’s nice to get off the plane for a few minutes and get food.

I’m eating McDonalds…and I HATE McDonalds…but when it’s all you can get, you eat it.

So in 20 minutes I’ll get back on the plane and head to Brussels.

P.S. I’m never eating McDonalds again…I don’t feel too good. Isaac will be an adult, before he bites into a Big Mac. This I promise you.

9 HOURS LATER

So I’m sitting in Brussels…it is so country here…keep in mind, I live in a concrete jungle (Los Angeles) so seeing beautiful green farms for as far as the eye can see is nice.

I’m sitting waiting for my plane, and I am surrounded by Liberians. They’re talking about Liberian business and how it affects their economy, and also how to call someone in the US ;) I can’t believe that in an hour and a half, I will be on a plane headed for Africa.

I was able to talk to a couple on the plane about Acres of Hope and Isaac. It is amazing how you can share your story with a perfect stranger and not only bless them, but be blessed.

The Liberian’s I’m sitting with have just asked me why I’m traveling. I told them to meet my son. One of them said “I have a heart of Gold”. I was afraid that they won’t like the idea of an American taking their children. But these guys and this sweet older lady are more excited than I am. It’s good to know that they support what we do as adoptive parents.

Well my computer is about to die a slow death, and I need to charge my Ipod…so I’ll post once I get to Liberia.

5 ½ HOURS LATER

We arrived in Dakar, to refuel and get ready to finish the last leg of the trip. I meet this guy named TK who I think has a crush on me. He came and sat next to me on the plane since we had our choice of seats…big plane no people.

We refueled and we took off for Liberia. About 30 minutes later they came on the loud speaker to tell us we were going back to Dakar, because there was a problem with the plane. We turned around, landed in Dakar, to find out that they had a flat tire and had to fix it in Dakar, since in Liberia, they would not have had the equipment to fix the flat.

1 HOUR LATER

So one hour after that we took off again for Liberia. The pilot was “trying” to make up for lost time so we only got there an hour late.

I got off the plane and the intense heat hit me, even though it was dark. It is very humid here. I walked into the three room airport, and met Fred. Fred helps the AOH people get through the airport easily (we get to skip customs, and he helps with the luggage.) He brought me to my wonderful driver who was waiting for me; we loaded up the bag and started the 50 minute drive to the Sheppard’s House.

I couldn’t see much, because it is so dark here, but it is so green. I can’t wait for day light to take it all in.

I’m staying at the Sheppard’s house for a few days and then I’ll be the first to try out the BEAUTIFUL guest house (which has air-conditioning, but no running water just yet).

So it is crazy late right now, I need to get to bed. I’m going to the orphanage at 8:45 am tomorrow to meet Isaac…

And the shoes I bought him are going to be way to big…he has tiny feet and hands…he wears a size 10 shoe!!!!

1 comment:

Sintari said...

Oh, wow!!! This is so fun to read! Thanks for all the detail! I am slurping it up!
I'm so excited for you tomorrow morning! Only hours from now, you'll be meeting your first son for the first time!
And you're there with the Lorenzens - they seem like SUCH a cool couple! I'm glad you get to meet each other.
I can't wait to read more tomorrow!
I'm so excited for you, Jocelyn!!!