We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I met my son today

I met Isaac today…when Melodie brought him out he wouldn’t look at me for a while. He just sat next to me and stared at the floor. I thought it would be worse, but it was a little weird. I felt stupid because I had no idea what to say. Finally I pulled out the album I made for him, and his eyes got big. Getting an album is a big deal for the older kids.

He opened it and began to look at the photos from every angle. He would even turn the book up-side-down to look at each page completely. When he got to the last page, he touched my picture then all of a sudden looked up at me and got a huge smile on his face. He said “yo my ma???” I said yes and he smiled and sat on my lap where we continued to look at the album.

We went inside for the other children to sing to us, and Isaac would shoo away any other child that would come near me, and say “my ma”. We played for a little over an hour, and then it was time to go. I went to his bedroom where he was laying on the top bunk showing another child his book. He knew everyone’s names from when I had told him earlier and he said “dis is gma (g-mom), and dis is aunt issa (Melissa), and dis is atti, and dis is ma, and dis is tatie (catie)” he did this for everyone.

When I told him I had to go, but that I would be back, he got down and came and kissed and hugged me, then he got emotional and went to the corner. I followed him over, he was upset that I was leaving so I did my best to promise him I’d see him tomorrow and he hugged me again.

He is insanely small. I mean SMALL. He doesn’t even go up to the top of my hips. He is a size 3 in the waist but size 4 in length…the shoes I got for him, are huge. He runs and jumps, and can play with the rest of them.

His back is bad, but it doesn’t seem to slow him down too much. He is super quiet, but when he smiles it melts my heart. He loves to have his picture taken, and is really bright. He lights up when he is around other kids, and is very social.

Did I mention how small he is???

3 comments:

Sintari said...

Oh, thank you! I've been looking forward to reading this post all day - all week! I am so happy for you. :) I was at my sister's bridal shower today, and I told her, "Jocelyn's in Liberia right now meeting Isaac. I can't wait to read about it!"
It sounds wonderful. I am so happy.
He's gorgeous, and so are you!!! You look great together!

Michelle Maher said...

"Yo my ma?" That one had the tears streaming here for sure....I can only imagine what was happening there!! I have poured over these posts....they are precious just like your boy. Take care over there.
Praying for you,
Michelle (adopting Prince (2) and Priscilla (3))

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful first meeting.