We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The last Great days of Summer




Dearest Blog Stalkers,

I am so sorry that this blog could not happen last night. There were too many people rocking the connection and blogging/picture uploading was not going to happen.

So here is how the day went down! We woke up happy as can be and had some awesome breakfast. Steve was up the night before till 2 am drinking wine and conversing with other travelers by candle light at our hostel. You can't do that in a hotel. This place has been a god send! Never going to stay anywhere else in Beijing!

We were headed to the great wall and I was afraid Jack would get car sick so I gave him some motion sickness meds. Totally threw him off. He was exhausted for most of the day and not his happy self. Never doing that again. But even with that in the mix he was sweet and gentle and we got the random smiles.

I hate to brag but I am the mother of two of the most compassionate, sweet, gentle, strong, respectful boys on the planet. Please don't wake me from this dream.

We got to the wall and took the cable car to guard house 14. This is where we got smile #1. Then we hikes down the wall. Up was not going to happen with a tired boy (way to go mom) with a funky spine and bad foot. So we went down. Smile #2 came when an orange juice and snickers were found around guard house 7.

It was amazing I watch my very "disabled" son navigate the uneven wall of his homeland. He is beautifully strong just like his brother at home. I can't wait to get these two together, oh the adventures they will find.

We finally got to the great wall slide. When Jack saw it we got smiles and giggles. He wanted to give the money for the tickets. He rode in front of me and smiled the whole way down. It was awesome.

We found a couple slingshots for the boys at the market, then headed for lunch. We went to a local place and had the most amazing pork. Ping our driver asked Jack if he ate food like this before and he said no then dug in for more.

We hit the summer palace on the way home. We could have missed it and would have been happy. It was crowded (though we were told it is actually dead with the main season being over) but Jack was still high on meds (go mom) and we just made a beeline for the exit gate.

We got back to the hostel and Jack got to Skype with his friend Alice in the states. Thank you God for that girl. She has been our hero this process and trip. Jack comes alive with her.

After some Skype therapy, Jack got his second or should I say first wind. We went down into our hutong and had diner at this Beijing BBQ. It was so good. Then we got some snacks and headed back to our room.

We taught Jack the art of UNO, (thanks Vicki!!!) and he taught us a card trick. Then it was time for bed and he did so without complaint.

If our story feels a little to fairy tale to be true, we understand your doubt. This kid is amazing. Like straight up amazing. We have had zero meltdowns, stink eyes, even moments of hesitation. We ask he does, he smiles, we melt. That is how it has gone. But for now that is all you get. Enjoy the pictures in no particular order!


















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am NOT a blog stalker! I merely happened by your blog by CHANCE ~40-50,000 times yesterday... ;o) SO, SO happy this part of your journey is the fairy tale we all hoped it would be; may it continue forever.... Chris

Dana@DeathbyGreatWall said...

Jocelyn, He is amazing! Your blog just oozes love for him. I had fun this morning reading all your China posts and seeing a lot of familiar sites from your trip two years ago. It sounds like the hostel was a great choice. Look forward to seeing more.

Dana@DeathbyGreatWall said...

Oops, I mean "our" trip two years ago. That's what I get for trying to comment and chew gum at the same time!