We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Be Safe, Be Strong...

My favorite moment in the Harry Potter films is in the final film when Lily tells baby Harry, "be safe, be strong! Mama loves you." Every time I see Jack and Isaac I want to scream this at them. "Be Safe, Be Strong! Mama loves you!" You never know when it will be the last time they might hear me say it.

I don't feel safe, not just yet. When our plane takes off from HKG tear of relief will fall. Then my second son, who I have waited all my life for, will truly be mine. He will truly be safe, in a country who will defend him as its own, not throw him away.

God we started this day early. 4 am to be exact. We wanted to beat traffic to the airport so we had to leave at 6 am. Waking Jack up was not easy, but we got out in time and our taxi was waiting for us outside the hotel.

The drive to the airport was fast, there was no traffic. When we got to the airport the shit driver ripped me off by 10RMB. I know it is only $1.75, but it's the principle of it. He played dumb and refused to give me the correct change.

Then the porters at the airport stormed us and grabbed our bags without asking, then charges us 30 RMB. I had had it by then. I hate the GZ airport. Couldn't find a cheap food option so we paid $36 USD for three fresh juices and 6 of the smallest chicken wings you have ever seen. This cleaned us out of RMB which is fine by me. No need to get "cheap" $27,000 later!

I could not get on the free wifi in GZ, and our flight was 2 hours late. We should have taken the train!

Our adoption guides were the only let down on this trip. They don't work for WACAP, but a travel group that specializes in adoption travel. We had to pay them $1000 to do our paperwork in country, and we had to drive them around, when in truth we could have done it on our own with Ping. They really did very very little for what we paid them.

Oh well what are you going to do? Adoption is expensive and this will be our last. This has wiped us out financially, but damn this kid was worth every penny!

Jack was so excited for take-off but then we sat for over an hour on the runway and he passed out. We took-off and landed while he was out.

Our flight from Hong Kong is on time. We are so ready to go home. We will be in the land of true freedom in 17 hours. See you all on the flip side!

No comments: