We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Swear...Forever and Ever, Amen

Today we got up at the crack of dawn to head to our consulate appointment across town. I didn't sleep at all, I was so nervous that we might be late or miss our appointment. Of course we got there just and were about 30 minutes early, better safe than sorry.

I won't lie, it was a bit stupid. There were 10 families there at the 8:30 time slot and we had to take this oath as a group to love and care for our kids. After all we have gone through this year to bring this kid home, that's it?

But as I said it, I couldn't help but think that according to statics at least one of those families would disrupt their adoption and give that child away.

For those not in the adoption world that may sound horrible and let's be real, it is! But in the adoption world it's the reality. People promise to love this child forever, pay $30,000 only to give the child up. I have to ask the question, "If this was your bio kid would you give them up?" The answer is, "of course not," yet people think it's okay to give up an adopted child.

I cry bullshit. I don't care what Jack and Isaac do. They are me, I am them, giving them away would be like cutting away my body parts and throwing them away. I can not imagine a world without them, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO! I will always stand by them and be their mother and be there for them. Those that can't or won't do that, shouldn't be parents. There is ALWAYS a way to parent even if you need help. There is always a way to find a fix and still be their parent! Yes this is harsh, but it is my opinion. You give birth for life, you adopt for life.

Okay off my soap box. I just lost half my readers, but I don't care! It needed to be said.

After the consulate we met Joy and Stefan (another awesome family) with their adorable daughter. Then we met Ann for a little shopping. She is amazing and knows her way around and got us amazing prices! Jack carefully picked out a pearl necklace to give his wife one day!

After shopping we rocked a little swimming till it started to rain, then had tea at the hotel. Subway for dinner, a little Breaking Bad for mom and dad, a little packing, and it was off to bed. We plan to sleep in tomorrow, hit the pedestrian street, pick up Jack's passport and visa, and buy some books in mandarin for him. Then we pack and leave at 6am for the airport to come home on Friday.

We are ready for home. Over tea we were reflecting about how amazing the last 15 days have been. We could not in a million years have dreamed this trip would be so beautiful and life changing. People dream of adoption stories like this and we have been fortunate to live it.

Enjoy the photos!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I agree Jocelyn! It's like car shopping and deciding the car isn't the ride you "envisioned". It's creepy and sad and unacceptable...and happening wayyyy too often. When I sent our LOI, this is now my child...as much as they would be in my womb. I don't get it. These are children, human beings. UGH!!!!

Joy said...

Jack, you are such a handsome and intelligent young man. We have enjoyed getting to know you.
The Weavers