We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Birthdays and sad zoos

Today was Steve's 43rd birthday. We already celebrated in the states before we left with those closest to us, but it was still a special day here. Jack was excited when he realized it was Steve's birthday and we set off to make it a great one. We had no schedule to keep today other than to get on and off the subway before rush hour.

We watched the karate kid, had breakfast, and got ready to go. We headed for the Dongsi subway station just two blocks from our hostel. The subway heading over was crowded but not insane. We got to the zoo, paid our $3/per person and headed in.

Let me tell you, the panda house is the most depressing thing I have ever seen. We moved quickly on to the other animals only for it to get sadder and sadder. There were these jerk throwing rocks at the tigers and hitting them. I wanted to push them in. What assholes! Then there were people feeding the bears plastic and junk. The bears had nothing but dirty concrete to live on. It was so sad. Right when we were about to give up we found the aquarium and it saved our day.

This cost a bit more than $3/per person. It was $19/per adult and Jack was free. It was so worth the money. I have been to aquariums all over the US and this was one of the nicer ones I have been too. It was a great set up, simple and fun, clean with nice exhibits.

We made our way around with just enough time to see the funniest, most pathetic dolphin show ever. They need to steal some seaworld trainers. The best part of the show was when one I the trainers trying to ride a dolphin got slammed face first into a wall. It was hard not to crack up. I know this makes me a terrible person who is going to hell, but I swear it was the best part. The other best part of the day was the gift shops. Super cheap and they have the weirdest stuff including water bottles that say "Vancouver Aquarium". WTH???

Laughed my ass off! After that we got a little lost in the zoo trying to find our way out then got lost again when we went into the wrong subway entrance. But we found our way just in time for the beginning of rush hour. It was a little scary trying to get through with Jack but 25 minutes later we emerged at Dongsi Station with our heads held a little bit higher.

UNO, othello, and dinner followed the zoo, to end a perfect birthday, with the greatest present a dad could ask for!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I just recently got back from a week out of town, and am only now catching up on all of your recent posts. First, I am so thrilled for you all! He is seriously adorable. It looks like you're having a great time. Happy birthday to your hubby. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. I'll be following more attentively now that I'm not stranded in the middle of the wilderness with no internet access.