About a week ago I got a friend request on Facebook. Now in full disclosure I must admit that I can be a bit of a bitch on Facebook. Just because we had math together in 4th grade does NOT mean I'm your friend, and the fact that you remember my name and then figured out my married name, well it freaks me out. So I tend to not accept friend requests. I'm a Facebook snob.
But my email pinged and I looked to see that a dear dear friend that I had lost contact with nearly 5 years ago was requesting my friendship. "Will you be my Friend" he asked.
You see this person was/is one of my dearest friends. I can count on one hand the number of times we have "met" in person. Our friendship was the old fashion kind. It spanned thousands of miles, dozens of letters, hundreds of emails, countless late night phone calls.
It was a friendship where we truly got to know one another and support each other. Then one day we just fell out of touch. Med School on his end, and adoption on mine, and before I knew it, I couldn't find my friend. I thought he was lost forever.
5 years later we are both married, he's a doctor (I am so proud of him), I'm an editor, he's a dad, I'm a mom. Life happened. But I found my friend once again.
It got me thinking. It felt so good to see his smiling face again. To remember all the fun we had together. And all I could think of was that I pray this happens for my sons one day.
I pray that one day Isaac wakes up to a request "will you be my friend" and when he looks he will find someone he thought was lost forever. Someone that shaped who he is today.
I pray Jack will look across a street one day and see the face of someone he lost. The flood of emotion that comes over you when you find that friend is unlike anything else. It's as if no time has passed at all. You can pick up right where you left off.
I pray with all the loss my son's have had to endure in their lives, they have a moment where they feel the joy of finding what they thought they had lost forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment