We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Please find your seats...

This is Flight 841 JFK to Hong Kong...

Oh those are the magic words.  In EXACTLY 7 days from RIGHT now, those will be the words we hear as we sit in our seats and sip our welcome drink.


Our story is a long one... but let me break it down.  Just over three years ago I met this sexy, scooter riding, hipster, who promptly fell deeply in love with me and asked me to marry him 3 months later.

Just over a year after said engagement, this sexy hipster married me and Isaac.  He took us both!  Within about 5 minutes of "I Do" I was talking to him about adopting a brother for Isaac.  Every boy needs a brother and I was NOT about to push one out.  China it was.

But China is a bit testy with their adoption rules and you have to be 30 to adopt.  So though we had found this hella handsome 9 year old we would have to wait to adopt him.  So wait we did.  12 months later, we started our home-study, we were poked and prodded and sure enough we were declared fit parents.

In April 2012 we sent our paperwork to China a few days before my 30th birthday.  We said yes, China said yes, then we waited... and waited.... and waited...

On August 9th after about a thousand steps and even more days waiting, we received our Travel Approval from the Chinese government and then we waited... and waited... and waited.

This is where we are today, still waiting.  We have 7 days left of waiting and we are there.  We will hit Hong Kong first (little R&R) then we head to Beijing where we will promptly be given a shinny new 10 year old, who of course will be perfect and amazing like in the movies, and will come with NO issues, and will say, "I love you mom and dad, I have been dreaming of you since I was born, thank you for adopting me, you have saved my life!"  (In Perfect English)

YEAH RIGHT!!!!

He will be a beautiful, broken little boy, who has been shit kicked his entire life, and will need a whole lot of love, a whole lot of understanding, and a whole lot of patient.  This will be the hardest thing I ever do second only to Isaac!  We have been in this maze before and luckily the first time I made a map on how to get the hell out!


5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Only a week left! Ahhh! So exciting... I cannot wait to hear about him.

Beijingbee said...

Yippee! Only 1 more week. No word about whether he made it back to #1 yet. My source says it should be no later than 1 week before you get him.

Did anyone ever tell you the maze includes moving sections - like the staircases at Hogwarts - just when you think you know the way everything changes! Well, almost everything - we become the constant in their lives from here forward, don't we.

Ami Carr said...

I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about this amazing journey!

krazykhrystyne said...

Jocelyn, I asked you if you were setting up the donation website back in June and apparently you said YES but I had gotten lost in cyberspace somehow and missed that you are about to leave! Can we still donate now? Or should we wait and see if there is a way to assist once Jack is assessed for his medical needs? Let us know if there is a way we can still help. And of course, WOO HOO CONGRATS ON JACK COMING HOME!! Try to appreciate every second of your upcoming (and continuing) journey.... Chris M

Jocelyn said...

Chris, you can still donate. We are still paying odds and ends for the adoption and every penny helps. Thanks so much for you thoughts and generosity. We still have our fundraiser button on the side of the blog.