We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

To the Death

Isaac and I watched the "Chronicals of Narnia" tonight. The scene that puts me in tears everytime I watch it, is when the sides have been drawn and the army of the White Witch and the army of Aslan are standing up to each other. Peter is watching as the White Witch's army which is twice the size of his army is coming together. He is alone, Aslan is "dead" and he must lead an army to what looks like will be their deaths.

He looks at the Centar standing next to him and says, "Are you with me?" and the Centar replies, "To the death." Then Peter leads the charge knowing that he is outnumbered and doesn't have a chance. He does it because Aslan asked him to.
I cry as Aslan's army begins to run knowing full well what they are running into. They were asked by their king to do something and they do it, knowing it will most likely lead to the end of their lives. Then right when all hope is lost, Aslan comes, in his perfect timing. He arrives not a moment too soon, and not a moment too late. He protects Peter just like he promised and then walks over to him and says, "It is finished!"
Today while we were watching the movie it really meant so much more to me than it has in the past. I have always questioned what I would really be willing to do for God if he asked. How much trust do I really put in him that he will keep his word and never let me down. That his timing is perfect in ALL things. That he doesn't not give me more than I can stand!
I have been feeling so many emotions in the last two weeks and I know this is only the beginning. Just dealing with the emotions of loving someone so fiercly that I sometimes don't quite know what to do. I have never in life felt a love like that for anyone. It is a beautiful thing that I don't want to go away, but it is also so exausting.
I have had a lot of time to think while I have been in Liberia, (sometimes there isn't a lot to do here so you are left with your thoughts), what would I be willing to do for my Aslan? How far would I go for my God, what would I give up for my savior? Would I run towards the enemy outnumbered, seemingly to my death if he asked me to?
I hope I would. I pray that I would stand with him and be able to say "To The Death" because that is something he has already done for me.
I have felt in this adoption at times that I was running blindly at something that I didn't know anything about and I wasn't prepared. There have been moments in the last two weeks with Isaac that I have felt outnumbered and done! But then I take a stepback and realize that this is what my Aslan has asked me to do. He promised he would never leave me alone in it, and would always be there for me.
I feel so blessed and honored to know that my God is a God of fulfilled promises. My savior is a savior of love and understanding. My King is the King of Kings and the ultimate warrior. Who else would you rather be running at the enemy next too???

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh....you're post has made me cry! You MUST write a book, and you know it. God has so blessed you with your open heart that listens to him, plus he has blessed you with this incredible ability to communicate in words what we all feel in our hearts.

Part of the army of little birds and beavers.... Love you much, Denise

**You know we must have a picture of Mr. Green doing a split!

Jocelyn said...

I'll work on that!

J

Rebecca said...

I've been "blog lurking"! I love your story and am so excited for you guys! I went to LA to visit my brother a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had gone later so I could meet you guys! (Is that weird? I'm not really open to meeting people on the internet :) But, since I've started the adoption process, I want to get as much info as possible and am willing to meet everyone!)

Anyway, so excited for you guys and hope you raise your money soon!!

Rebecca
http://winterinethiopia.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Great post, can TOTTALY relate adopting from India!! Going to India, everything! Takes extreme commitment everyday.
Awesome post!

Frank said...

I missed yesterday...Tell Isaac he has a big fat great uncle who is a great cook.
To international mom, from big fat slightly protective uncle...If you set her up...HE BETTER HAVE A JOB!!! We are getting tired of the interesting, exciting boyfriends and want somebody boring, loving and responsible for the ladies of this family.
And if he is just like Jocelyn's grandfather, father and her two favorite uncles (mike and me). That may not be bad also.
And oh yes he must be willing to lead his family and follow his Lord to the death.
Nuts...I'm having a sweet moment and my wife wants me to cuddle on the couch so see ya soon.
Love
Uncle Frank

Farrah said...

WOW how sweet...Now Hurry home.

Faith said...

Wow, what a great post. Just wanted to tell you that Alana was asking the other day when she got to meet Isaac. When I asked, "Isaac who? she said, "You know the little boy whose Mommy came to our house." So strange the things kids say. So Alana wants to meet Isaac. Maybe we could make a marriage agreement? They are the perfect ages, hehehe
Faith

Anonymous said...

I LOVE UNCLE FRANK!!!!

International Mommy said...

Ha ha ha!!!! Ok Uncle Frank-my hands are up!!! I am putting a line through "jobless" on the list as we speak :)

Angel said...

Beautiful post friend. The adoptive mommy gig can turn your heart inside out and then back again all in one day!! :0) It's so amazing. You are almost on your way HOME. Wow. Angel

Jamie said...

That was so beautiful. I just love his huge smile...every time I see it it makes me smile;)

Looks like with Uncle Frank you have one loving family. Isaac is one lucky boy!

S and K said...

I have given your blog address to a buddy of mine. I'm hoping that he is reading this entry. We too love the Chronicles of Narnia. We are so blessed to watch all of this unfold as you so bravely follow in obedience your great Aslan. Who although is not safe, is good. Similarly you are like the children of Israel who took a step expecting the waters of the Jordan to part. We are so excited to be on this journey with you.
Scott, Katy, Midge, Zeke, Jed, Haddie

S and K said...

To Uncle Frank,
So, jobless is out of the picture??? Is there a salary cap? Just curious. We don't have any "boring" friends for J, but we do have an international, exciting guy, who would follow Jesus to the death, AND has a job! How's that??? Oh, and he recently asked us if he could adopt from Liberia as a single man??? So the heart is there too!!!
If you'd like I can send resumes to you first... if you approve, forward them onto J and Isaac! How's that???
KT

Anonymous said...

Maybe your parents did a really good job raising you. Maybe you are just a good person and this isn't about your "Aslan"
-Connie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog!
My wife and I have adopted three special needs children. I say this because when I was a teenager I wanted to do "great" things for God. HIS great things and mine were not the same. I am glad he changed me. The path has not been easy but its HIS path. Adoption is the closest thing to HIS heart (spiritual & physical). People will tell you that your son is so "lucky" or blessed but as you know you are the one that has truely been blessed.
God's blessing on your family

Jana said...

Jocelyn--did you know a "Prince Caspian" movie is being made?? :)