So the honeymoon is OVER! Isaac’s honeymoon period didn’t last very long. He began testing me about two days ago when it was bed time. The first time he shut down completely and dropped himself down on the floor. I had to pick him up and drag him to his room. I finally got him to go to sleep. Then last night he did the same thing only this time when I got him in our room he began to weep on the bed. But today was final straw.One of the ways Isaac is testing me is by ignoring me. I will ask him to do or not to do something and he will walk away from me and ignore me completely. (As a side note, I use to do this as a child as well, so I guess I had it coming!) I know that he is just testing me, but he pushed me too far. So today I asked him to take off his nice polo shirt before he got in the pool, but he ignored me and did it anyways. I grabbed him to take him in the room to talk to him about it, and he threw a complete fit.
So I punished him and he went nuts, I mean screaming and crying. I think I killed his ego and pride more than anything. I let him do his crying thing and had to walk out the door because I almost lost it too. My mom was so right, it hurts us (the parents) more than it hurts you (the child). But after that he listened to me, at least for today.
Baby steps right. Isaac is this amazing child; he is sweet and so affectionate. But I truly believe that he is terrified that I am going to leave him, just like others have done. He is guarding his heart, so that it doesn’t get shattered again. So tonight we tried something different. About 3 hours before bed time I told him that we only had 3 hours to play and then it was time for bed. I told him every half hour or so how much time he had. Then when it was time, he was like “okay” and walked with me to our room. He got his teeth brushed then we watched about 15 minutes of “Jumanji” and then he went to bed.
So thanks for the tips mom they worked, the countdown helped a lot and Katy, I’m enforcing the “co-sleeping” which I think is also going to help.
Today we went to church, and then I took Donna and Patty out to lunch at the Golden Beach Restaurant, Isaac spent most of the time searching the beach for rocks. Donna left for the airport; she was finally able to get a flight home from Liberia. For those of you who don’t know, getting on a flight this week is almost impossible.
As Isaac and I were getting into bed tonight he said to me, “Next Sunday we go to America right?” “Yes, next Sunday we will get on a big plane and go to America” Then he said, “and G-mom will have balloons for me in America?” “Yes G-mom will have balloons for you in America.” “Okay, goodnight!”
You have to love the innocence of children. To Isaac America is balloons and grandmother who love him, and lions and monkeys (thanks to Jumanji, he thinks there are lions and monkeys in America!)
Everyday there is something new coming out of his head. I feel so privileged to be apart of that. Temper tantrums and all!
11 comments:
I just want to encourage you! Don't be discouraged by his behavior. Can we expect anything less? Even my own biological children act like this toward me sometimes, and they have been with me since birth! So, adopted or not, this is TOTALLY common and part of life with a child, bio or not!
Consistency is the key, as well as prayer to the Lord for wisdom. It is true that once children start to feel secure with you, they will begin to let their guard down and begin the testing and manipulating. So rejoice, this means that He is beginning to truly trust you and feel secure with you. He needs to see that no matter how bad his behavior is, you will always love him, yet you will love him enough to teach him right and wrong and to expect great things from him!
Blessings to you, Jocelyn. I am so happy for you. Kiss Issac a big kiss from a Kentucky mom!
Tina
Welcome to Motherhood, Jocelyn! It is a wild but amazing ride- temper tantrums, ignorance and the sweet things they say. It is so neat to see how eager Isaac is to come to America. I imagine all of the children are, but you are one of the first whose blog I've been keeping up with. Enjoy your week in Liberia!
Jocelyn,
It is a WONDERFUL sign that he already feels comfortable enough to show you his full range of emotions/behaviors!!! We only do that with the people we trust the most, you know? ;0)
Love,
Jamie Z. ;0)
Jocelyn,
You are an amazing mama! We are praying for you and Isaac. You are a blessing and an example of faith and obedience. I can't wait to see what amazing things the rest of your lives hold!
Love ya,
Katy
This is a test comment from Jocelyn
Hey, don't worry about those tantrums. My almost-two-year-old does it. He's got the ignoring thing down pat! Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job!
Suzanne
Hi, I recently came across your blog by following links.
We have been following your progress over the last week or so, my boys have taken a real interst in Isaac and watched the video clip over and over!
We prayed for you both at our family worship time last night, we will continue to pray for you.
Thanks for posting this story! it helps us to know what to prepare for and not be so surprised. We are proud of you!
When Zoe started her fits I was excited. I agree that it is a good sign. He is feeling safe enough to start testing!! You are doing great. Just stick to your guns and keep loving on him while being tough. You are the bomb!
The best books I know on discipline are the Love and Logic books. Love and Logic Magic is for 6 and under. Parenting with Love and Logic for kiddos. Then they have the teen version. It is AWESOME!! My whole church of 3,000 is covering the material right now. It has saved my momma behind time and again. :0) I highly recommend this for EVERYONE. They have it on CD too. So that is super cool.
HUGS! Angel
Alright, your friends give you the wonderful mother and sweet encouragement. I can only say on behalf of the family J-Rose...Payback is hell...I also see he likes to climb on furniture like a little girl I once used to watch do. Does he jump off and land on Uncles shoulders? Does he like to watch movies over your shoulder and spoil the next scene coming up for you.
I just wanted you to know that it does not always hurt you more than him. You may find the priviledge of saying no can be quite an enjoyable and liberating experience as he approaches adolescence.
After all, how do we maintain the adult therapy economy in this country? Where would Woody Allen get all of his great material? How could Oprah maintain her quest list?
Your affectionate
Uncle Frank
MORE PICTURES PLEASE! I am going through Isaac withdraw. I need to see his ginormous smile again!
Love,
Katy
Post a Comment