We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Being a Mother

Okay, so now I understand what it means to be a mother. You can't get anything done! I use to wonder why people didn't keep up their blog once they came home, now I know. You don't have time to do anything. Kids are a lot of work! That is what I have learned this week! But that's okay because Isaac is so worth losing my social life over.

This is Isaac and his Godfather Brad. He hooked onto Brad right away and loves him so much. He prays for Brad first everynight! It was really sweet to watch Brad play with Isaac at his party last Friday night. Brad is teaching Isaac Basketball, which may I say he is really really good at!

I know what you are thinking Ladies, and I wish!
Only a Liberian child would clean up after his own party. Isaac loves to clean. He sprayed and wiped down every table in the hall before we left. He was whistling while he worked. It was so funny.

Isaac discovered a vacuum cleaner yesterday. After he got over his fear of it, (we pulled the hose off and showed him how it wouldn't suck him in!) he vacuumed a carpet in my mom's house for about 45 minutes yesterday. He loves it. You know that will be one of his chores when we get home!

This is my 7 year old brother Atticus and Isaac after his party on Friday. Isaac made out like a madman. I have been so blessed by all the gifts he has been given!

Isaac enjoying some good old fashion pizza joint food. The child loves the french fries.

I am so proud of him. Isaac has gained 4 pounds in one week. It might have to do with all the food I'm feeding him. But it is good for him. The doctor was so proud!

Atticus and Isaac are the same age. Look at the difference in their sizes. It is so funny to watch them together. They are like two peas in a pod. Isaac loves to take warm baths at night. It's nice to not have to fight with my son about keeping clean. He is all about being clean!

YES that is my son RIDING A BIKE. It took him two days to figure out how to pedal, but he finally got it. This is Atti's old bike and he gave it to Isaac to take to California. One more thing to tote across the country.

Look at him go. He is getting so good at it.

Isaac and I went to NY to have some medical tests done. I am proud to announce he his insanely healthy except for his bump. His blood work came back perfect. He is doing really well. I am so happy! It is such a relief to know that his back is the only thing we have to deal with!

This is Isaac on the Ferry to Staten Island in NY. He loved going on the big boat!


Pat another Acres of Hope mom who is adopting a beautiful 7 year old girl, threw Isaac and birthday party at the school she teaches at on Staten Island. About 20 children came to wish Isaac a happy birthday and there was cake, balloons, chips, juice, candy, and party favors. Pat went all out. It was awesome!

Isaac was on cloud nine. He was the center of attention and the other children and him got along really well. He made 20 new friends. He also got a chance to see what school is like and is really excited to start school soon!

Then the big surprise came. Pat gave Isaac a power wheel. Isaac almost peed himself he was so excited. He loves to drive and has tried to get my keys to drive my car (yes this is a problem) well not a problem anymore. He has his own car now! All he wants to do is drive his car!

He drives like a Liberian. Meaning he thinks it's fun to run into other cars, people, and to drive while standing up!

Isaac with his new Aunty Pat. She threw him the party and gave him the car! She also set up all his medical testing for me in NY and it was all free. I owe her so much. I am so happy I have been blessed to meet her and to have her in my life!

Isaac also got to ride a tractor while on Staten Island. He was so excited. Anything that you can drive makes his heart beat faster. I'm thinking famous Formula 1 driver one day!

Then Pat took us to a real Liberian restaurant in Staten Island. Isaac has Tobagee and I had some collard greens. He was so excited to get to eat "real" food as he put it. He ate a huge serving then took some for later.



So a dear friend of mine passed away in March. His wife who is like a grandmother to me blessed me with a 2004 Ford Escape for me and Isaac. It's the red one in the picture. Isaac and I will start driving cross country on Monday the 24th! I love my new car. It's so pretty. If you look to the right of the photo you will see Isaac's perfectly parked car next to my mom minivan. He parked it there. He seriously cracks me up!

16 comments:

Bingaling said...

Hi Jocelyn,
So many firsts to experience with Isaac! And he's watching you experience motherhood for the first time, too! What a pair!

I have loved reading your posts...and I hope that you are able to keep up the blog despite being crazy busy with a 7 year old. I'll be a first-time mom after our adoption, too, so I'll need all the advice I can get! Though, I totally understand if you can't write as often as you used to. ;)

So, this drive across the U.S. What a fantastic way for you and Isaac to see the country! I was wondering how you were going to get a new bike and a big wheels across the country...

Let me know if you are driving through Iowa. I would love to take you two out for lunch or dinner or something. Seriously - just send me an email and I'll send you my cell phone number so we can set something up.

Enjoy the last few days left with your family. And I wish you safe and enjoyable travels as you drive across the country.
Chanda

Bingaling said...

Sorry...here's my email address
bing_6@hotmail.com

Chanda

Blu and Darbi said...

Wow. For some reason these pictures just got me so emotional! Just seeing him here in America, and so happy, it's just incredible. Let us know if you're coming through Dallas on your road trip--we'd love to have ya'll!
Love,
Darbi (Samuel's American mama!)

Rebecca said...

I love all the pictures you post!

It looks like Isaac is adjusting to America very well! He is too cute and I love seeing his big smile! :)

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn,
I will second that...if you come through Cedar Rapids, IA I will get a bunch of little Liberians together to wish you all well! :)
Really enjoy your pictures and posts. Teresa (redbarnusa@juno.com)

S and K said...

So wonderful to see the pics and get the update. Can't wait to meet that kiddo
Love,
Katy

Anonymous said...

That is just totally hilarious and lifted up my day to see those photos and read those stories. Such uplifting hope and happiness (especially admist the sadness with our dear friends, the Borcherts). Let us know if you need a stop over in Colorado. You are totally welcome at our place.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update - it is wonderful to see the constant huge grin on his face!

Sharon

Jamie said...

What INCREDIBLE news that Isaac's back is the only medical issue he's facing!! PRAISE GOD!!!!! I hope you have a GREAT road trip!
Love,
Jamie Z. :0)

Heart4Adoption said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful update! It is great to have had you go before us and give us all kinds of great information. Congrats on having Isaac home. He looks incredibly happy!! Tanya E.

Heart4Adoption said...

Oh, if you happen to be driving through NE, we'd be happy to see you and have you stay with us. It is a LONG state to drive through! Tanya E. delgin@alltel.net

Jamie said...

ROFLOL That last picture has me rolling!!! With his jeep parked;) That is SO cute! I'm so glad to see an update. Praise God that Isaac is so healthy! Sounds like you guys are being blessed and having a fabulous time! And that picture I saw of you, Isaac and Brad...yep...my first thought was, "Hmmmm, what's wrong with him?"

HandsRaisedToHeaven said...

I absolutely *loved* the last picture of the parked cars. My boys are 5 and 6 and they love to drive. The riding lawn mowers at Lowe's are a favorite. They'd be there all day if I let them!

It's wonderful to "see" your happiness and joy in your writing and pictures. Praise God! Thanks for taking the time to update those of us who are waiting for our children. It's a huge blessings and encouragement.

Blessings,
Jenny

Frank said...

Hey J,
The house is ready. Is Isaac aware of the parking rules for his little car. Does he get the front space or the back space. And do not park in that second space.
MI-KITTY misses you very much. Anyway, your friend's are keeping up the apartment well and I wish you a safe drive home.
When you take Isaac to Universal Studios, see if you can find the hat I lost on the MUMMY ride. It should be on the track where it blew off.
I was at your church and there were some eligible gentleman there. What is their problem? Can they not see a wonderfully, beautiful lady and kid dangling in front of them.
Hey can you adopt me...A kid adopted by you can really make out in the party and gift apartment.
Love
Uncle Frank

A Family said...

Welcome to the joys and trials of motherhod! There is nothing as rewarding or, at times, frustrating!

Christine

Tami said...

I love your blog! What a great post! You two are so lucky to have found each other. I love the little car parked next to the big car.