We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

APR1ST


It’s funny to me how just when I begin to think God has forgotten about me and Isaac, he sends me a subtle reminder that he has it all under control. This morning as I was sitting in my classic Los Angeles traffic a Lexus cut me off. Right as my angry driver was about to come out, I looked at the license plate and it said “APR1ST”. Isaac’s birthday is April 1, 2000.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I have to say I see things like this all the time. And I have to believe that it’s God way of saying I’m still here. I realized today that even if I got the call tomorrow saying Isaac’s adoption was finalized I would still have a travel date in August. My heart tells me this is too far away. That the time is going to creep by, but my mind tells me this is no big deal. The extra weeks are money in the bank, time to get emotionally ready, the last few days I’ll be responsible for only myself.

There has been no update on his adoption. I’m in the dreaded waiting phase. I shouldn’t complain. His entire adoption from start to finish will probably be within a 7 month period. That’s very fast. But now that I’ve had the chance to smell his hair, rub shea butter on his tiny legs, and watch the sheer joy on his face when he put on a new shirt, 7 months feels like an eternity.

Something I love to do when I’m stressed out, is make budgets. I know this makes me a total nerd, but when I sit and crunch numbers and figure out ways to pay off my debt quicker, and put money in savings for a house, it makes me happy. When I’m really stressed out I can tell you where every penny of my paycheck will go for up to three months in advance.

So needless to say, I’m budgeted till Christmas.

I’ve also been taking the advice of my follow adopting mama Becky and have started to simplify my life. I’m giving away all that stuff I’ve been holding onto for no reason for so long. I want to begin again. I want to start over. I want to go back to what is really important, and get rid of everything that isn’t

My WANT for Isaac to come home and be with me has turned into a NEED. He is the first thing I think of when I open my eyes in the morning and the last thing I think of before I fall asleep.

I know that the time I have left of waiting is there so that I can get every aspect of my life ready, so that when he gets here, it can just be the two of us. Nothing else will matter for a while, because I had this time to prepare.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Is Isaac's adoption supposed to finalize this month? Siah's too! Maybe we'll get to travel together--wouldn't that be fun?! :D I'd love to meet you and Isaac!

This long waiting will be a flash in the pan when our babes are home (at least that's what I tell myself). And, I still have a lot of prep work to do. Maybe I should make a list...or a budget! :) My husband is a big budgeter and it's rubbing off on me! He'll love it that that's your stress relief! :)

Jeremy and Kamina Johnson said...

God does provide glimpses of hope doesn't he?

I am a budgeting nerd too. I love building spreadsheets in Excel that automatically calculate things for me. It is definitely a good distraction.