We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Social Workers and USCIS

So today I got an email from my homestudy agency, (Angel Haven Outreach). They're assigning me a social worker today to do my homestudy. Hopefully I will be able to schedule my home meetings with them in the next two weeks, so that my homestudy can be done.

I want to have it in the mail to USCIS and my adoption agency before I leave for Liberia May 10th. I'm hoping to get to the LA USCIS office, to turn in my I-600A next week, so that Dan and I can get our fingerprinting appointments.

Dan has been so great. I owe him a lot. He has finished everything I needed from him up-to-date. There is still the homestudy visit itself as well as the USCIS fingerprinting, but then that's it. I have to say the $400 I've spent getting his background checked, has been worth the $600/month I'm saving in rent. I just wish it was easier on him. He doesn't have anything really vested in Isaac. In fact, I don't even know if he will stay once Isaac comes home. I hope he stays. I feel safe having him in the house (he's one of those Ultimate fighting guys), and he is great company.

So that is the update. I'm insanely broke, and have realized that I need to send out financial help letters to people. I thought that I could pay for this adoption out of pocket, but because I've accepted Isaac's referral already I still owe $7200. Which is insane, because I'm just getting my head around the $2000 homestudy.

But it will all work out. It always does.

So that's the update.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jocelyn do a search for "Life International" we have gotten matching grants from them for two of our adoptions. you send them an application and they review. they take special needs cases in priority. they have you send out letters to family, friends, church members and then they match dollar for dollar up to a certain amount that they preset. if you have any questions please email me. im on the AoH group

Jocelyn said...

Thanks Rachel, I'll look into that...

Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

"Gift of Adoption" fund and "Shaohannah's Hope" are good ones too. you can apply for both of those online too. just brainstorming here...LOL if i were rich i would hand it over=)