We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Isaac's Condition

So I have been asked by many what Isaac's "special need" is. Isaac has a history of suffering from severe tuberculosis. Shortly after finishing the treatment he began developing a deformity of his thoracic spine.

The condition is severe and is producing compression on his heart and lungs. The medical term is Pott's Disease or deformity of the spine secondary to tuberculosis. Physical examination reveals a marked thoracic kyphosis. This is centered at the approximate T-vertebral level of the spine. Movement of his chest is somewhat restricted.

So for all you who don't understand big words (this was me till I looked them all up), Isaac had bad TB, and the TB attacked the bones in his spine. It has caused his spine to twist and turn. His spine sticks out, and it is causing pressure on his lungs and heart, which keeps him from being a kid. Pott's disease, can cause severe back pain, as well as night sweats.

To fix it Dr. Vernon Tolo at Children's Hospital in LA, has agreed to see Isaac when he comes home. Isaac will need spinal reconstruction, which will straighten his spine, and allow him to breath correctly and stand up straight.

Isaac is 7 years old (as of April 1st) and he is under 40 inches tall. He only weighs about 33 pounds. The spinal deformity, has effected his ability to grow. Once they straighten his spine, he should shoot up like a bean stalk.

I don't consider Isaac to have "special needs". It will be a long haul when he comes home. He could need as many as 12 surgeries between now and puberty. So it's not an "easy" fix, but it's fixable.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. A huge number of Children in Africa suffer from this, and for most it's a death sentence. If Isaac stayed in Liberia, he would have a life expectancy of 17 years.

Close-up of Isaac's back

Isaac getting x-rays in Liberia...

He's beautiful

4 comments:

Rae said...

17 years?! Jocelyn! Wow. It's incredible the difference between how we live and how the rest of the world lives, huh?

I have a question for you...How risky is the surgery? Spinal stuff always sounds so delicate to me! Just wondering...

:D, Rae

Jocelyn said...

The surgery, will be very risky...they'll be drilling in his spine within 1mm of his spinal cord. Some of the risks are paralysis and permanent damage to the lower extremities.

It's delicate, but as we know, Our God holds our babies in his hands...so I'm not worried about it.

Of course ask me again when I'm sitting in the waiting room the day of his surgery. I might be singing a different tune.

;) Jocelyn

Welcome to Jen said...

I know that Isaac is considered "special needs" because of condition. But I hardly notice it, all I can see is that beautiful face and heart melting smile! He is such a beautiful child!

Blessings,

JN

Angel said...

Oh my Word! That poor little baby. It just hurts to look at it. Oh my heart! Let's get that boy HOME!!! I am so glad you are almost on your way. He is just so brave and precious. Angel