We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fingerprinting and Car Towing

So today my roommate and I went to get our I-600A fingerprints done. We went to the ghetto sector of town called Van Nuys. I parked my car in an unmarked space, then preceded down the street to the office.

The security guard, hates his life, and made sure everyone there knew it. We waited 40 minutes, then they called us. I had the nicest Chinese woman, who very nicely asked me, "how are you going to raise a black child, your white?" I almost laughed out loud, I knew she didn't mean anything mean by it. I responded, "the same way I would raise a white child, or an Asian one." Then smiled. She smiled back, so I guess that made sense to her, or she knew better than to start something.


Dan was done first so I asked him to go get the car. 7 minutes later he came back to let me know that the car wasn't there. It had been towed. We called the tow company and they said that they were about 8 blocks away. LIARS...

32 blocks later we arrived to find out that to get my car back it would cost me $187.50...Hands down that is the most expensive parking meter I have ever paid.


They then took 45 minutes to get me my car. I think they were trying to mess with me, because they knew I was mad. But then as I stood in the filth of the Van Nuys ghetto (not an area to walk around alone)...I looked up at the beautiful 65 degree weather sky, and realized it was a beautiful day.

I started to laugh. Dan thought I was going crazy. He was not happy. I looked him dead in the eyes, and said, "Dan, the devil's trying to break me down, and I'm not going to let him. He's trying to break my spirit and get me to back out of all this, and I'm not going to let him. So I was stupid and didn't look where I was parking. I deserve to pay $187.50. And I have learned my lesson, it will never happen again."

He looked at me like I was nuts. But as I drove home, it didn't matter that I had just paid a huge amount of money to get my car back, I felt grateful that I had a car to get back. I was grateful that I had the money to pick it up. I was grateful, that I was being tested, because it's days like today that I am even more sure that I am doing what I am suppose to do. NO DOUBT.

The devil, can bite my cute white booty. It's going to take more than a $187.50 tow charge, to stop me from doing what God had told me to do.

I truly believe that the devil knows when people will be dangerous to him. I believe that is why Isaac has a life threatening condition. It makes me wonder who is this little boy? What amazing things is he going to do one day, that the devils trying to kill him at such a young age?

So I am grateful, for the test, and more than anything I am grateful for the fingerprinting. I am that much closer to having Isaac home. And Friday morning at 10am my social worker Yolanda is coming for her first visit.

I am so excited.

3 comments:

Michelle Maher said...

Wow!! What a day! We're headed to LA this weekend and will be sure to steer clear of Van Nuys. I am so glad that things are moving along for you and Isaac in spite of the devil's obstacles.
Michelle Maher (adopting Isaac (Prince) and Imani (Priscilla) from AoH.)

Sintari said...

You go, girl! :)

Dono & Laurie said...

I'm familiar with the area:) X-California girl, here...now in Colorado. Yea the whole parking thing can get you every time! It really is up to us how much we let those "interruptions" and "trip-ups" get to us. I have noticed those things coming at us in full force...after taking this "large" leap of faith(for us anyway!). Some days we throw-up our fists and others we smile and say Praise God! Your attitude here has inspired me!!!:)
Laurie
(Nyenpu, Titus, and Kojo's mom)