We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thank God for Soy!

So the last 4 days have gotten better. Isaac's behaving more in PT/OT and seems to be dealing a bit better. We had a couple of days when I felt like the world was coming apart at the seams. I know all parents feel this way at times, so I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Like I mentioned before I have given up meat until Isaac is better. It was my mom that started it and I jumped on the wagon with her and decided to go for it. Giving up meat is a nightmare, since I tend to have a pretty high protein diet that doesn't included beans (I hate beans).

So It's been a really long couple of weeks and there is no end in sight. But two days ago I discovered the secret to vegetarian eating... Fake Meat!

I am in love with Morning Star Italian Herb Chik Patties! If you cook them till they're crunchy then coat them with ketchup and slap them on some bread, then close your eyes and dream of being somewhere else they are almost as good as real chicken. I'm looking forward to trying the veggie hot dogs (I know to even speak of this is sacrilegious) and the veggie bacon!

But I have to say I pray to God everyday that Isaac wakes up and can walk not just for the sake of having our lives back, but because I'm so afraid I'll never have a steak again and this thought is enough to bring tears to my eyes and lets be real people, I already cry everyday for obvious reasons I don't need to do it for meat as well.

But thank you Jesus in the mean time for soy products.



On a more serious notes, I wanted to address something that I fear was taken the wrong way on my last post. I made a comment about not being able to give up adopted children for adoption. What I failed to mention in the post mostly because I was trying to make light of my situation (not of others) is that there is such a thing as a disrupted adoption. It happens when an adoption won't work out for the parents or the child and it's best to have the child live elsewhere.

Most of the time when an adoption is disrupted it's caused by some pretty serious issues that the child or parent has, and it's an awful and truly sad situation. I know more than one family that are in the middle of a disrupted adoption and my heart goes out to them and anyone else dealing with this and I didn't mean to make light of their situation in anyway I was simply trying to make light of my own, and I apologize if I offended anyone that's in the mist of a disrupted adoption.

7 comments:

Joy said...

Oooh I have not seen the italian herb chicken patties from Morningstar! I love their spicy black bean and occasionally their tomato basil... but this is one i will need to look for.

I've discovered the spicy chicken by Boca-not bad!

My parents are vegetarians...but i"m not but I still like the veggie food products! Although I've heard too much soy is not good b/c of the estrogen..so don't overdo it.

International Mommy said...

-Isn't that SO funny? HA!!You were the first person that popped into my mind when I saw that..
I was laughing about it just now as I was making dinner for tonight. Oh and it isn't soy....

Love,
Charity

Anonymous said...

From a spiritual standpoint, adoption is a wonderful thing. A perfect illustration of the goodness of God toward us. We are all grafted on the vine and belong to God irrevocably.

You will probably now have to apologize to all the vegetarians you have offended.

mom

Jocelyn said...

I will never apologize to vegetarians, all I can say now that I kind of am one is "seriously, why???"

Stetlers said...

I've never commented here before (at least I don't think I have) but I check your blog regularly. I have been praying for you often. Just to warn you, the fake chicken patties are as good as it gets. The burgers are decent. The hot dogs, not so good (although Tofurky brand is the best)and the bacon is absolutely awful! We've been close to vegetarian at our house for a few years, so just a warning!

sara farrell said...

girl! my roomie is vegan, my old roomie is veg. i tried it for a month last year and i didnt mind it at all. the only part that sucked was at parties, i would end up eating a sandwich bun. REMEMBER TO BRING SOME FOODS WITH YOU TO SOCIAL GATHERINGS!!


but oh goodness. morningstar veggie corn dogs rule my life. i'm going veg again this week, for as long as i can take it. veggie chicken nuggets are tasty. fakon (veg bacon!) is amazing. i can grab some veggie recipes and tips from my roomie and former roomie if you like?

Anonymous said...

I know I'm mostly a lurker, but I wanted to chime in here. As someone who has been a vegetarian for 14 years, I can honestly say that fake meats are not the secret to vegetarian eating. I eat fake meat probably once every 2 months. They are very highly processed and not very healthy. The actual secret to a vegetarian diet is eating a varied diet of whole foods including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Many people find that when they give up meat their diet expands a lot because they are trying new things. A vegetarian diet is not an omnivore diet with the meat replaced by fake meats. It isn't about penance or deprivation. Browsing vegetarian food blogs may give you a better idea of a balanced vegetarian diet. (And btw, veggie hot dogs and bacon are pretty gross. You may want to save your money).

While I obviously believe that a diet that respects the lives of all of God's creatures is ideal, you certainly have enough stress right now that if you don't know how to take care of your nutritional needs correctly on a vegetarian diet you may not want to make that commitment. I'm going to guess that you don't have the time to properly research and execute a well balanced vegetarian diet right now. You need to be healthy so you can take care of Isaac. No one will think any less of you.

If you need any help or advice on a vegetarian diet I'd be happy to answer any questions as long as they are respectful as it is a part of my belief system and identity, not just some crazy diet.

You and Isaac are still in my prayers!