So I know it's been a while since the last Isaac update so here's what's going on. They're still saying that we should be out of the hospital by Sept. 18th and we're hoping to fly home to Philadelphia the following week to visit with friends and family back on the east coast.
Isaac's made a lot of progress in the last few weeks. This week they decided to cast both his legs from the knees down... Isaac's ankles are unable to support his weight and the muscles have begun to tighten in the wrong position so the therapist casted the ankles in the right position so that the muscles can stretch back to where they should be.
Isaac actually really likes to have the casts on since they allow him to walk with more ease and help him to support his weight. He says it's like walking around in snowboard boots (that's my boy).
Isaac has progress from only being in the wheelchair to being able to walk with a walker. At this time his butt muscles aren't strong enough to hold his upper body upright so he bends at the waist and needs someone to spot him or else he will fall over, but he's able to walk with his walker and a spotter for well over 1000 yards before his legs give out under him.
The therapist have all said that though Isaac's progress seems to be going at a snails pace to me, that for them as therapist he's progressing at an extremely fast pace. They're very happy with the progress he is making and still feel that he will make full recovery.
Next week when they remove the casts from his legs they'll mold his ankles for braces. The braces will give his ankles the support they need to maintain his weight and help him to walk more on his own. He won't have to wear them forever just until his legs can hold his upper body up.
So for now they're working on his strength (butt and legs) and helping him to learn the fine art of walking again. You would think that walking is like riding a bike, it would always come back to you, but it's not. You have to re-learn it like a baby starting for the very first time.
On the upside, Isaac has been granted his very first day pass and it's happening on the best day possible. This Sunday August 24th, 2008 will be "Our Day"... this is what Isaac and I call the day when I took physical custody of him in Liberia and we officially became a family! The hospital has granted Isaac a pass for Sunday and we're going to get together with some good friends to celebrate the last year, the ups and downs, the good and bad, and welcome in another year and all that it holds!
9 comments:
Congratulations on 1 year. What a great milestone! Our 1 year mark falls on Thanksgiving this year, and we have oh so much to be thankful for.
Can't wait to see Isaac cutting up the slopes.
Kristy
YAY i'm glad all is getting better:)
Congrats on the day pass and 1 year:)
Praise the Lord for all of this. It's a miracle.
Congratulations on the day pass and on your anniversary with Issac. That should lift his spirits and yours!
Very good news indeed!!!
He'll keep getting stronger and stronger.
Congratulations on the anniversary. I remember learning a little about what was going on with the adoptions then, and it's great that you were able to retrieve your boy.
Still watching, still lurking, still praying...
I am happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction. I'm so glad that you will get to spend Sunday together outside of the hospital.
Marianne
OHHHH STINKING YAY!!!!!!! I am soooo glad to hear this WONDERFUL news. Made me giggle about the casts. Leave it to him to be excited about that. :0) So CUTE! Just go with it right? Hugs, Angel
UNCLE FRANK IS BACK!
Now about the meat thing Jocelyn. Certainly, the sacrifice you are making is noble. I want the whole world to know that I am giving up vegetables till Isaac is out. That's right all, I am joining the cucumber hugging libs out there and giving up the green. I figured since many are giving up meat the overpopulation of cattle and livestock will eat up the oxygen producing plant life on earth.
And not that JRose is out of the meat eating picture, I must pick up the slack in culling the population.
I am stoking up the barbecue and smoker and all is fair game. RIBS, CHOPS and the all important nitrate rich sausages. Please help me as I go through the temptation to pull out the frozen brussel sprouts.
Just today, I was tempted to blanch some asparagus with my London broil.
I know, I know you are all thinking is he really giving all vegetable products up. Well, I will still each mushrooms and I am substiting high carb potatoes and dairy products in place of the green buggers.
I really enjoy butter, not the olivio type the real unsalted high fat content one. Man the sacrifices I make as I sautee those mushrooms,(also allowed since they are really a fungi).
Oh NO I just saw a chef steaming up some broccoli on tv. I don't know if I can keep this up.
Please ISAAC you must get you butt in gear and get walking or you GREAT UNCLE might never be regular again.
Love
UNCLE FRANK
PS. When this is over I am setting up my own non profit "UP WITH REGULARITY" I have found that the world Supply of metamucil is being threatened by a growing irregular boomer population. Website coming shortly.
I have been thinking of you and your handsome little man a lot this week. We flew in to Liberia on the same plane that took you and Isaac back to the States, so as I've thought about having our son home for a year, I've been thinking about what a challenging and rewarding year this has been for you, too. You and Isaac are some tough cookies and I'm so glad he has a fighter like you for his mother. I check your blog often and our little Josh (not quite two yet) will yell "Eba!" (his word for Liberia) when he sees Isaac's face. For some reason he associates Isaac with all things Liberian. That's alright with me- Isaac is a good representative of the spirit of Liberia.
Maralee
Post a Comment