We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Summer snow and a vegetarian controversy

So I have managed to cause a little stir with my going vegetarian till Isaac gets out of the hospital. There are some vegetarians out there that are a wee bit concerned that I have no idea what I'm doing and feel that maybe I shouldn't do it since I don't have the time to really do it right and stay healthy all the while taking care of Isaac in the hospital. Good Point Ya, all!

I wanted to clear this up since well I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. You couldn't pay me to be a vegetarian. In fact I could survive on meat alone.

But, during Biblical times when people wanted to get God's attention and bend his ear to their cause, they have historically fasted in one way or another. Even Jesus the son of God fasted in the desert. When my mom told me she was fasting meat I decided to join her. I joke that I've gone vegetarian but in truth I'm fasting with my mother on behalf of my son. I won't eat meat until he can walk on his own. If my health suffers (which it's not) during this fast then so be it. Fasting is about sacrifice and replacing something that's important to you and giving it up to God.

So fear not vegetarians world wide. I haven't joined your ranks, I'm just temporarily meat challenged!

Ok Moving On...

One of the reasons why I want Isaac to walk again isn't just to walk, (or so that I can eat steak again!) though that is ultimately uber important. It will sound strange to many of you when I say this, but keep reading I shall explain. I want Isaac to get his legs back so he can snowboard again.

Many of you will remember that this past winter Isaac and I learned how to snowboard together. We spent a good portion of February and March hitting the slopes here in SoCal (oh yes we have some pretty good snowboarding in SoCal!)

Isaac and I bonded during this time, and I found out that my son has a God given talent when it comes to "shredding" snow. I couldn't be prouder. I had found a hobby that I loved and lucky me, my only child loves it too.

For his birthday he got a brand new board, bindings, and boots, and we had a promise from the surgeons he would be snowboarding by Christmas. Well that's not looking too realistic right now... but I have to believe that one day my son won't just walk, he'll shred again.


I've been doing a little research and did you know that in Oregon there is year round snowboarding... I almost had a heart attack when I realized that I could be going on vacation in a week with Isaac snowboarding in August. Mt. Hood has snow 365 days a year. They never run out. I truly believe God let me discover this amazing information just to lift my spirits!

So I did a little more research and guess what... they have a summer snowboarding camp for kids 9-17 and for adults ages 18-80! It's a 9 day camp and every Olympic snowboarder in the short history of the games has spent their summers at Mt. Hood.

So this is my dream. Summer 2009. Isaac won't just be walking. He and I are each going to do a summer camp at Mt. Hood! Oh yes you heard me, I'm going back to camp!

The Devil has stolen our winter fun, but he's not gonna have our summer 2009 fun too!

Are you catching the dream with me. I can see him now... and it may sound strange but the image of Isaac flying down the snow covered hills again brings a little moisture to my eyes!

9 comments:

Angel said...

I love that goal!!! AWESOME!!!! You should get lots of snowboarding pictures to keep in his hospital room. Maybe it will help him remember what he is working toward. FYI I knew what you were up to with the meat thing. ;0) LOL! Hugs, Angel

Bingaling said...

I think summer camp is a great idea! You won't have to wait until winter 2009 to snowboard - and Isaac will have a great goal to work toward!

Strange thing happened this weekend. I was listening to NPR and heard a story where they were comparing veggie-burgers and I immediately thought of you and your fast. In case you are wondering, the two winning burgers were Amy's All American Veggie Burger (voted "meatiest") and Boca Grilled Vegetable Veggie Burger (voted best "veggie" experience).
Chanda

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you ever want to shred at Mt. Bachelor in Bend, OR, consider this your invitation for a free place to stay anytime! I even get free lift tickets from work! :)

And he will shred again!

Apryl said...

Personally, I think you could live on cheetos and diet coke for a couple months and probably only marginally suffer--this is coming from an ex-vegan. My fav veggie burger is Morningstar's spicy black bean--good stuff.

I have a cousin who lives on the slopes of Mt Hood (I think they strapped their infant to skis upon birth). Your determination is absolutely wonderful, and I'm praying that Isaac makes it to Oregon next summer.

Thank you so much for the phone call on Friday. You were so encouraging--talked to our nurse extensively this afternoon...
Thank you!
apryl

Annee said...

You better say hi next summer since you will be in the neighborhood!!

Anonymous said...

So I have been following your blog - and I have thought about you two daily!! You are both certainly in my prayers!! As for the no meat - I would give it up for you all as well BUT I have been a veggie for years. I will give up sweets (my main diet) for me - my body might go into shock BUT I am sure I will pull through. My husband and I are trying to adopt a 4 year old girl from Kazakhstan (it has been 7 months so far) - SO I will give up sweets until BOTH Isaac walks again AND we get our future daughter to US soil!! Hope I live to tell about it!!! Please send Isaac well wishes from Illinois!!! All the best and i have always heard that anything worth it is always a lot of work!!! So plug away....

May they both "walk" on US soil soon!!!,
Many Blessings,
Angi

All 8 of Us said...

Continuing to check in on you and Isaac...my kiddos have been praying for him too. I think your summertime 2009 goal is a wonderful motivator for mom and son :)
Oh and my favorite veggie burger are the Morningstar garden Veggie Patties...so yummy and for me . Weight Watchers friendly!
Continuing to lift you both up before the throne of grace...hold fast to the promises of God.
Blessings,
Kathi (aoh mom )

Lauren said...

What an awesome goal. I've been praying for you guys. Yup, Oregon is awesome and super gorgeous. You'll have to venture our way and stop by Portland to say hi. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Today is the first time that I happened upon your blog and it made such a deep impression on me. I just know that God has such incredible plans for your son. It must be very difficult right now, as his mom to have so much unknown ahead of you and to see him going through such hard times and not be able to just fix him. I love your snowboarding goal and I hope that having that goal is something that you and Isaac can work towards together.

I will be praying for both you and Isaac and checking back for updates. God can perform a miracle here and it will be awesome to see Him do it!