So the moment you have all been waiting for. Isaac Alan Scott Tarquini is having Spinal Reconstructive Surgery on July 8th!
He will be having an ECHO done of his heart on June 16th, then we have Pre-Op tests and blood work to be done on June 24th, then it's off to Children's Hospital here in Los Angeles. He will have his surgery performed by Dr. Vernon Tolo.
The surgery will be anywhere from 6-8 hours long. They will enter his spine from the back and hopefully be able to work around the scar tissue to remove 1-2 vertebrae and straighten the spine. Then they will reinforce the spine with two titanium rods that will hold the back in place. Once all this is completed they will need to wake him up while still in the operating room and get him to move his feet. If he can they will put him under, close him up, and send him to recovery. If he can't they have to go back and undo everything they did and start over because something is causing paralysis.
Assuming everything goes well Isaac will be in ICU for 1-2 days then he will be moved to a regular room for 4-6 days. Once he is able to walk around, go up and down steps, and get in and out of bed on his own they will release him.
From here we will be at home recovering for 2-3 weeks and then he can go back to summer camp. Dr. Tolo said that the total recovery time will be about 3 months. After that he can go back to sports and being a crazy kid. Translation: Snowboarding by Christmas!
Isaac is so excited to be getting this done. Both of us are more than ready to move on from this and start the next phase in our lives. Isaac might need to have this surgery performed again when he's a teenager to put bigger rods in the spine, but by that point the dangers of the surgery will be greatly reduced and his recovery will be much shorter.
So there you have it...33 days and counting!
16 comments:
Wow! Exciting. I'll be praying for you guys. Bring books to read at the hospital. It gets boring... :)
Congrats, I have been lurking on your blog and following for some time. That is great news. Really fantastic news. I hope you are able to get the time off to help him recover or to have family come to assist. I would help actually but I am in Canada. You will have to snowboard here sometime.....
Jessica in Canada
OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Finally here eh!!!
it won't be long now!!
He must be so happy!!
we'll continue to check in as it gets a little closer!
Love ya,
KT B
Hi! I have been following your blog for a while but have never commented before. I really enjoy reading your blog! My name is Staci, I'm 16 and the big sister of 1, soon to be 2, little girls from China. Congratulations on Isaac's surgery! My older sister had adolescent scoliosis. She had a complete thoracic and lumbar spinal fusion in 2002.
I'll be continuing to follow your blog. :)
~Staci
We are praying for you. He is a courageous kid with an excellent mom.
Wonderful news!!! I have you both my my prayers!
Cindy in WV
That Is great news!
Praying for this surgery to go well and a quick recovery for your strong little guy!
Kristy
maxtomaine.blogspot.com
It is about time you gave us an update!! Good luck with the surgery. He will do great!
That is so exciting! The WInger's will be keeping you and Isaac in our prayers as the time approaches and as he heals. What a HUGE thing!
Blessings....
Wow. What an amazing journey this is going to be. You both have such wonderful energy about you. I love the snowboarding by christmas.
HOw exciting, and scary at the same time. I will pray for you guys as you go through the surgery and recovery. God Bless!
I am so happy to hear you have a surgery date! I will be praying for you both. Keep us updated!
I have been watching and waiting for this news! I know he is ready to get this behind him and just MOVE ON. We will begin to pift you up each night. My kids LOVE to pray specifically... so if you ahve any specific needs, please tell us what they are. JennSchu@aol.com
Blessings -
Jennifer
Yeah!! I will be praying for you guys. Keep us posted.
We're praying for you and Issac. We've followed your story since you decided to adopt Issac. Does Issac remember AB from the orphanage? We are adopting AB and his sisters.
Post a Comment