We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Daddy's Day without a Daddy


Isaac and I spent father's day down in San Diego visiting friends of ours.  Isaac is very good friends with their children and I so enjoy the company and fellowship.  This was our first Father's Day together.  I spent the day hiding my sadness from my son and friends.  On our way home from SD, Isaac broke down crying in the car.  When I asked him why he said, he missed his great-grandpop and was so sad.  After my mom calmed him down on the phone, he and I had a very frank discussion about father's and how important they are.

He told me about his bio dad in Africa, and we talked about my dad (his g-pop).  Then I got "the question"!  I knew it was coming.  I knew I couldn't hide from it.  He looked at me and said "when will I get to celebrate Daddy's day with my daddy?"  The question that single mother everywhere dread.  It's one of those questions that I can't answer.  So I did my best, I said, "well when God brings us a daddy, you will get to celebrate daddy's day with him, but until that happens all we can do is ask him to protect our daddy until we can be with him."

And miraculously it worked.  The answer ended the conversation.  That was enough for him.  And then something beautiful happened at bed time.  Isaac was saying his prayers.  There are certain people he prays for every night, they are always on his mind, and he loves them so dearly.  But last night as he said his prayers he said, "and please take care of my daddy, tell him that I love him wherever he is so that he can find us soon... Amen."

I kissed him goodnight and walked into the hallway pulling the door shut behind me and sat on the floor and cried.  It was one of those really good cries.  The kind that just cleanses you and all your fears.  

Somewhere out there is a man who has the prayers of an innocent child, asking God to protect him and keep him safe.  If only he knew! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow single mom, I felt your pain yesterday. I'm still not yet in the hard years because my ds isn't even aware at 3 of what father's day is, but I know what having an amazing dad is like, and my heart breaks for him that he doesn't have that kind of love or relationship in his life yet. I said the same prayers that you and Issac did yesterday.
Remember that our God is the "kinsman redeemer" and I know He's got the perfect daddies picked for our little guys. I hope for all of us, this is our last Father's Day without them in our lives!
April

Angel said...

I can hardly wait to meet this amazing man. I know he will have to be amazing to be worthy of you and the boy who found you. Hugs, Angel

Brandi said...

This was such a sweet and vulnerable post. . I love your heart. Praying with you and remembering that God will be both a Daddy to Issac and a hubby to you in the meantime!

Love you,
Bran

Anonymous said...

That little boy is a gem! What a wonderful story. Thank you!!

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

Just stopping by to see how todays appts went

Erica said...

Thanks for putting that out there. I think it is something a lot of single mama's hide from, but many of us want that for our kids--both our sons and daughters. God hears our prayers, but I especially think He hears the prayers of the innocent children.

Donna Barber said...

And know that God is father to the fatherless. There are many families with a daddy present and yet that daddy doesnt appreciate his children. God seems to bring other blessings into your life instead of a daddy for Isaac right now. WOW!