
That is how long David Blaine can hold his breathe underwater. Now I have to ask....WHO CARES! First off, why does the world care if a man can hold his breathe for this long. When will this skill ever come in handy?
I am amazed at what people care about. In the last couple of days I have had the opportunity to learn about a guy named Daniel Lipparelli who is 2 years older than me, and is in Kenya saving lives everyday. This is someone that I want to know more about. Why is it that in our society we put so much emphasis on celebrities, Hollywood, and money. Believe me I live in this world, I work in this world, I rub shoulders with these people all the time and I can tell you they are just like us. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt shop at my Ralphs when they're in town, and I can tell you they buy frozen food just like me and you (except you Katy...I wish I had your discipline).
So why's it that someone like David Blaine can be all over the news and a guy like Daniel isn't. Shouldn't we put more emphasis on people that are actually doing something to change the world and help people!
I was talking to my Executive Producer a really great guy, and we were talking about how if we mess up in our job NO ONE DIES! I work in TV the worse case scenario is that I tick off a network producer and they yell at me. I hate to go off, but today I've had a lot of time to think.
I read an article this morning about how the average home in America has more TV's than there are people in the the home! WHY???? In Africa more than 50% of the population 300 million people out of 600 million people don't even have enough water to stay alive let alone healthy and we have too many TVs.
I love America. I am so grateful for everything God has blessed me with. I love my job, I adore my son, and I feel blessed to be able to live where I live. But It kills me when I look around my community and realize that if each person gave a very small amount of what they have, children wouldn't cry of hunger, mother's wouldn't die during child birth, and everyone could enjoy a glass of clean water.
But hey we do have a man that can hold his breathe for 16 minutes and 32 seconds.
12 comments:
Ok, tried posting once, guess i'll try again.
First of all, I think DAvid Blaine is so creepy. I see Satan in his eyes and I believe that's where his power is from.
Second, scoot over so I can jump on your soapbox with you. I agree 100% with you. I get so frustrated seeing kids with new cars, the latest ipod, the newest cell phone, the hottest fashion, fake nails, pedicures,money in their pocket and still be whiny, demanding and discontent. I'm so thankful to know (even if only through the internet) a group of people who share my beliefs and are raising children to have a different perspective than the average American child. My 13 yr. old counts the cost of everything in terms of how many kids we could adopt for X amount of $$ :o)
Well, gee... When you put it that way...
But what are we supposed to do when one family member wants to watch Rock of Love, the other wants to watch Celebrity Rehab, the kid wants to watch American Dad, and the dog wants to watch Animal Planet? And how can we, as a people, settle for a measly 8-minute world record for breath-holding? Do you really think there are more important things in life, Jocelyn? Really?
I don't know. I'm too distracted. I think there might be a scratch on my BMW, and it's been upsetting me all week.
Awesome post Jocelyn! I ran across Daniel's blog as well and it's so exciting to see a young man living wholeheartedly for God and the needy.
I could go on and on about your whole topic here, but I don't want to get all riled up!
Tell your little I-man I say "hi". (Btw, are you still calling him that???)
All I can say is, AMEN!
Oh Jesus. . change our hearts so we may be disturbed as you were. . but help us to grieve over our nation! Because frankly, we just get ticked off. . we need your love for this crazy nation you have placed us in while giving us a heart for another. Lord use us!
I SO feel you, J!
Love you,
Bran
Jocelyn,
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for so long - and almost constantly since visiting Liberia. This is a big part of the reason I'm adopting my third child. It's a really dumb move financially by US standards, but who cares? We'll make it and we'll do it with one TV (but no cable, so it only works for movies) and 4 people.
There was this article in the paper today about Americans having to sell their things to pay for gas and food. It showed a picture of people with a TON of stuff. Maybe it's time to learn that we never needed all that stuff to begin with.
OK, not it's time for me to get off of the soapbox, because I could really get going on this one!
Sharon
I am on this soap box ALL THE TIME!
Especially when I hear 10 year olds call their parents cruel becasue they don't have a blackberry like all their friends!!
I'm with you!
Kick butt post. Amen... preach it.. right there with you. :0) Angel
AMEN girl!!! Very well said and how very, sadly, true!
God bless you both! :o)
It is so easy to get sucked in to that "world". I need the constant reminder. Thanks
Carey
Excellent post!! I agree with you on what a sad commentary it is that we pay entertainers millions but can't feel a passion about sending money to make a real difference in the lives of people!
Julie L
How can it be that you articulated exactly waht I was feeling as Oprah sat there marveling at this completely stupid water tank on her stage with a guy holding his breath inside? Oprah, come on!
Anyway, Amen, sister. For me and my house (which includes a one year old Ethiopian), we will aspire to more important things.
Post a Comment