I have to ask the question since no one else is.WHY is it that the death toll is over 21,000 with another 41,000 still missing, and the coverage is minimal! There is more info on Britney Spear's child custody case (which was a closed hearing) than on the thousands of dead and the close to a million people homeless. Now I know that the coverage is slow because the country won't let reporters in, but if you turn on the news in Europe you will see coverage of what is going on and what you can do to help. Why can't I turn on Fox, CBS, NBC, or ABC and see the same? We are one of the "greatest" nations in the world, if Europe can do it, so can we!

I guess it is only another third world country, it's not America. It's not New Orleans or anything, so why should it be all over the news, why should American care! America can care even without being allowed in the country. President Bush for all his faults has promised a lot of money to the people of Myanmar, but it's hard to find out info on that since no one is covering it.
Enough with the excuses even without reporters on the ground, there is enough info coming out of Myanmar to cover it more extensively in this country.
10 comments:
I read about this today and it is because it is a very closed government and they are not letting anyone in. No journalists, no aid workers, nothing. President Bush has sent a message begging them to let us help.
I have been wondering the same thing! It's pretty depressing just how easily we can ignore the suffering of others.
View from an other part of the world.
I am sitting in Europe, thousands of miles away from the USA, but still thousands of Miles away from Burma. If you switch the news on here you see Burma and not Britney Spears. The "WORLD" is not closing their eyes Jocelyn!
And it is not right that "no" adiworkers are let in German and French aid workers are already pumping out water, organizing help strucures, but it is so difficult in such a country.
And missing means still hope! We all should hope!
Yeah, remember when the World Trade Center happened? There was 24/7 coverage. . .
aagh. . why don't we care?
Bran
I agree with you about caring, but in this case there can't be 24/7 coverage. The U.S. has not been allowed in to help. Once we are allowed in to help, and the media has more of a story to tell I think it will be covered more, Most likley not more than Brittany, but that is America we let larger issues than this pass us by daily.
I don't think it's only not caring - for a time it was not knowing. The first reports were 100 dead, 200 missing. Because they have a military government, aid workers have not been allowed in. No aid workers, no journalists, no coverage.
Unfortunately there are news outlets who think it is more news worth to report on celebrities daily lives , and enough people who demand for that kind of news covereage.
I agree with you. People need to demand better news coverage, and maybe more and more people will start to care beyond their backyard, beyond their city, and eventually beyond their country's borders.
I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think the liberal media bias doesn't want to extensively cover what's happening because President Bush HAS offered help and the state's leaders have refused it. This reflects poorly on Burma but makes President Bush look good. God forbid President Bush do something right in the medias eyes.
I understand your heart.
I do know that Orphan's Tear (www.orphanstear.org)
has MANY MANY MANY kids who need to be sponsored from Myanmar- for $20 a month!!! We are sponsoring a girl in Sri Lanka but there are a LOT of precious kiddos in Myanmar who need sponsored too! $20 a month and every dollar goes for their care, not a penny to overhead costs!
Love your heart. Keep on writing.
Holly
www.purposedrivenfamily.blogspot.com
The only news I watch/read these days is http://news.bbc.co.uk/ - I know I am in the UK but a lot of my American eFriends are the same!
Post a Comment