We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hearts, Therapy, and Closure


So you would think that all the above have to do with each other, but in truth they don't. 

My grandfather had a valve transplant today.  They tried to do the surgery on Monday but it didn't work so they had to go about it another way today.  It went well, but his heart isn't strong enough now and they have him on machines to help his body.  I'm afraid I'll lose one of the few strong men in my life.  It took me 18 years to truly understand my grandfather and for him to understand me, but once that day happened, my respect for him was immeasurable.  He has lived such a rich life, raised a family, been a successful lawyer, and loved his grandchildren unconditionally. I pray my husband one day is that kind of grandfather to his grandchildren.  Isaac is angry because he wants to see him again.  He asked me tonight if he'll ever hug his great great grandpop again.  I didn't know what to say.  So please pray for his heart.  Pray for his strength.  Pray he doesn't need the machine and can make it till my son can hug him once more.  

Isaac and I started therapy this week.  There is a lot that people don't tell you about adopting older children from war torn countries.  No one wants to believe their child could have issues, but no matter who the child is, if they have lived through the things Isaac has or some of the other older children also adopted have, they are going to have issues, fears, insecurities, and broken hearts that need to be dealt with and mended.  I'll post more on this later.  

On closure, many of you have guessed that I find myself once again single.  I ended my 5 month relationship a few weeks ago.  It was a good decision that God gave me a lot of peace about before I ended it.  I'm actually really looking forward to time with just me and Isaac.  I didn't really have that when he first came home.  I started a new relationship soon after he came home, and never really enjoyed the single mom way of life.  And I'm really enjoying it just being him and me.  Most women need to figure out who they are as married women, wives, before they can become mothers.  Well for me I need to figure out who I am as a mother, a mom, before I'm going to be able to be a wife.  You can ask my mom, I've never done thing in a conventional or traditional way.

But don't worry I haven't given up that my IMM (International Man of Mystery) is still out there!

4 comments:

Erica said...

I'm so sorry things ended for you. I'm glad God gave you peace in that decision. When I told my mom that I was going to adopt as a single, she said the same thing "why should I expect you to go the traditional route, when you have never followed what everyone else is doing?" Your mom sounds like a smart woman.

Good luck with therapy. I'm looking forward to learning how you both are doing.

annNEE said...

I am glad to hear that you and Issac will be going to therapy! It can help so much to be able to speak with someone who has wisdom and experience and is a trained counselor. I know it helped me so much last year when I was able to speak with someone.

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn,

I'm praying for your grandpa's health and for Isaac to be able to spend time with him. I'm sure that would do his heart good!

Sharon

Jamie said...

Jocelyn,
This is the strongest I've seen you yet--it is so true that in our weakness He is strong, and that is SO evident here!
Love you!
-Jamie :0)