
So on Monday as I was driving home I heard a grinding sound coming from the front of my car. Dread set in almost immediately! I knew I needed breaks, but being the single mom I am, I had to figure out how to get my car to the shop, Isaac to school, and myself to work all at the same time without a car in L.A.
So this morning I dropped off my car at a Ford dealership (you know they rip you off), but I did it because it was next to the metro train station and I could take the train right to work. So I just got the call from the evil overpriced dealer and holy crap $630.00!
I need all new front breaks including rooters, pads, breaks, back breaks need to be cleaned, and my fluids need to be flushed! FLUSHED! My fluids need to be flushed! I'm probably getting ripped off, actually I know I am, but I can't get the car to my normal guy who would do a great job and hook me up!
Being on your own can be seriously expensive...they don't tell you that in the single mom brochure! So all you married couples turn and look at your partner and say "thank you for being there to take me to the mechanic when my car breaks down!"
The vows should say "till death do us part, and when the car breaks down, AMEN!"
9 comments:
If you need a new car, I know of one you might like -
Hey there - Single with 3 and an old van here - find yourself a garage where they will take you wherever you need to go (work, back home, whatever) after you drop the car off, and then will pick you back up to bring you back to the garage after the work is done. GOLDEN!
I totally agree with you that there are times when a spouse would totally come in handy.. such as car breakdowns, last minute meetings and unable to pick up the kid(s), wanting to take a nap so he can get the kid(s) out of my hair, etc.
I'm already getting nervous about it all.
Hang in there!
Here's to Land Rover Defender!
Thanks Stephanie...I almost forgot that option!
Well Jrose,
If fluid replacement is a radiator flush you may have need to change the coolant. Should be done at least evry 18 months to 2 years. A break job is about 200 dollars for one set if you did not need to get new routers or drums. Yeah you may have paid about $100 more than you had to. Check with some guys at your church who they use for repairs. You are in the middle of Mexican Mechanic heaven. They are good, resourceful and economical. Note I did not say cheap
Uncle Frank
Hi-
I'm a long time lurker and fellow single (adoptive) mom. I am feeling your pain! Sometimes being a single mom is hard (although totally worth it). I actually rent a car when I have mine worked on. I hate paying for that, but I have found a wonderful mechanic that is honest and reasonable and works a deal with the car rental place. Hopefully, your car won't need any more work for a long time.
Excuse me...
I deal with the car issues WITH a husband at home. I spent 380 this week on two tires and etc.. on a van that is only 2 yrs old. AAHH! And the truck brake line is leaking now. AAhhh!!!
Well, Donnie's a mechanic - maybe he can take a look when you're in town and see if anything needs to be done. Even just an oil change.
Anyway, I ran that list by him, without telling him what you were charged, and his guess was about $500, maybe more. He says rotors are expensive, and brake pads are kinda spendy too.
Yeah, it's REALLY handy being married to a mechanic. :)
I totally feel your pain. My last car was a piece of crap even though I bought it new. It was always in the shop and they rarely knew what was wrong with it. The last time they had it 10 weeks! They had told me that they would not provide a loaner vehicle (which I had learned from a loose-lipped mechanic that they have some high end vehicles for their high end clientele). I told the guy he WAS going to give me one of those vehicles to use and I took great pleasure in watching him suck it up and hand me the keps to a swanky pimped out SUV a few hours later.
I've learned that you really appreciate your victories more when you are single.
Post a Comment