
47% that's my son's lung capacity and if you are wondering, no it's not good. The lowest it should be is around 72%. So Isaac normal size 8 year old lungs can't expand enough in his 3 year old size chest. So there's some concern, but he should be okay for surgery, but this is one more reason why he needs surgery so bad. His lungs are healthy but there's no room and if you have met Isaac you know that his heart is just too big and takes up a lot of room!

Lately Isaac's been really clingy. I asked him why he keeps hanging on me all the time and he said, "because you're cute!"

I have to say that I have so much respect and admiration for doctors. I think people in general take them for granted until they need them. When I walk through the halls of Children's Hospital and I see the doctors walking through the halls, I want to stop each and everyone of them and tell them how much they mean to me and my son. How much they mean to every child in the building. So I think we should have "Hug a Doctor" day. When you see a doctor, give them a hug. Tell them how much they mean. It makes me wonder if it's too late for me to go back to med-school?

It's been a very interesting month. I have fallen so in love with my son this month. It's hard to explain to people who haven't gone through the struggles of adopting an older child, but as I spend time alone with Isaac I have begun to slowly understand his pain and sadness, and it breaks my heart, but opens it even more to him.
We were waiting for an appointment today and Isaac has gotten to spelling everything he sees. If he sees a word he spells it out loud and then says the word he just spelled. He saw the word "love", and without thinking he said, "L-O-V-E, Elizabeth". I looked at him and said "what?" He said it again, "L-O-V-E, Elizabeth". Elizabeth is his birth mother's name. It almost broke out into tears, because he didn't even realize what he had just said. He spell Love, but then said his B-ma's name. None of us will ever understand what our children go through when they are given away, left behind, let go of.
Isaac's smile hides a lot. Inside him is a sadness, an extreme fear, and a brokenness. I believe for a moment Isaac expressed something that was deep inside his heart that needed to be expressed. "Love, Elizabeth". All I could say is, "Yes, L-O-V-E...Elizabeth, she is love, she showed me what love is Isaac."
12 comments:
Jocelyn,
What a touching post. I have also felt that intensity of bonding and love with my girls since I brought them home. I'm guessing that part of Isaac's clinging might be him sensing that in you.
It is hard to get close enough to those wounds to help them heal. They have experienced so much that is beyond comprehension to those of us who had a relatively easy beginning in life. I am so glad that you and Isaac have each other to travel with now!
Sharon
I love your blog and your love for your precious son. Thank you for sharing!
I know exactly what you mean. The love has just snuck up on me more and more with Zoe till I can't picture my life without her. :0) He is a jewel and a survivor. Hugs, Angel
Hi Joselyn - I have a friend who adopted an 8 year old with really severe scoliosis. Disabling and she wouldn't have lived a whole life without the surgeries she's had here in the US. They have replaced some ribs with titanium, and this week I think are replacing some she's already outgrown. The doctor said that when he opened the chest cavity on the side where the lung was basically so constricted it had never really inflated, there was suddenly room and he watched it inflate for the first time - amazing!
My 8 year old adopted son (well, he's 11 since he's been home 2 1/2 years ago) has traveled Isaac's path, and I've been on yours. Our situation was complicated by also having 2 younger girls home already, how Luke would have adored being my only child! I know very well the smiles that hide so much pain. And that clinginess too. I haven't heard you talk of the anger - hope I saac doesn't do that, but the hardest thing for me is being the "safe" one he can spew some of the rage out on. Very hard to keep perspective when that happens. As I tell him all the time, I love him even when he's raging and hitting and breaking things. Thank God that is true - I have an appreciation for families who disrupt. If the love isn't there, I don't know how a family could survive.
I check your blog every day - take care and thanks for sharing your lives. Let me know if you want me to connect you with the family who has the back surgery experience. They live in Chicago.
Mary, single with 3 from China
myrzh@yahoo.com
Hi,
I just found your blog. I am in the process of adopting a baby from Vietnam and want to adopt more children in the future. Lately, I have been giving great thought to Africa. (I haven't even got the first child and I am working on more! Lol!) Your blog has opened my eyes and heart to older children. I think you are doing a wonderful job and will enjoy following your journey.
- Tammy
I heard the story over the phone tonight and still got chills reading it again. . I pray that your experience of Isaac's pain draws you both closer to your Jesus who understood suffering and knows your child's heart better than even Isaac does!
Bran
Bless his heart! Bless you! What compassion and love he is going to learn how big, wide and inclusive love truly is...
Jocelyn,
What a beautiful little glimpse into Isaac's heart:L-O-V-E Elizabeth! It brought tears to my eyes.
JulieL
Man, you're response in the moment blows me away--it's no wonder God determined YOU to be Isaac's Mama! Keep up the GREAT work, girlfriend.
Love,
Jamie :0)
you made me cry this morning. keep on loving that sweet boy!
lynn
What a beautiful boy you have...I am moved by him and his heart.
I totally agree with what you said about doctors. I wrote a post about that on my blog a while back. My husband is a pediatric ER RN and applying to med school this month. I love children's doctors. They are amazing people with big hearts. I'm praying for Isaac's heart to heal from the pain he's been through and for his lungs.
Post a Comment