
A rockstar once said...
"God is in the slums, in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house. God is where the opportunity is lost and lives are shattered. God is with the mother who has infected her child with a virus that will take both their lives. God is under the rubble, in the cries we hear during wartime. God, my friends, is with the poor. And God is with us if we are with them.” - Bono
As a television editor, I have a hard time taking celebrities seriously, but every once in a while, one of them says something that leaves a lasting impression on me.
This is one of those moments. Are we with them?
I had a reality check today. I got updated photos of Isaac. In a couple of them, Isaac is sitting with his mom. He looks just like her, and it broke my heart, because I knew she was giving him away, because she knew to stay in Africa would be a death sentence for Isaac, because of his back. But the smile on her face, is so full of love.
She's not selfishly giving him away, because she wants her own life. She is giving him to me, because she loves him that much, that she puts herself second. They say in adoption that it is all about the child. It's not about the adoptive parents, or the birth parents, it's about what's best for the child.
Today I have looked upon the face, of the most unselfish woman. A woman who loves her son so much, that she would give him to me. I can NOT begin to explain the gratitude, and heart break I feel right now.
I can only pray that I become even a fraction of the mother she is.
5 comments:
LUckEEEEE!! :) How'd you get to be one of the first to get new photos?! :) And, photos of Mom to boot!
That must have a been such a powerful moment when you opened the photos and saw her face. There are no words. Wow.
(And, congrats on making your referral OFFICIAL! Yay!)
I have no idea how I got the new photos first...it was an amazing day, yesterday...
Wow. I can understand how you feel about the mom. My little girl has a grandma who has spent the last 3 months in the hospital by her side. It's a beautiful gift of love, but I wish it weren't necessary.
What a priceless photograph and such true words.
What a priceless photograph and such true words.
Post a Comment