We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Captivating

So I have found that the key to being a new parent is time alone. I went to the movies late last night after Isaac had gone to bed. I saw the movie "Dan in Real Life". I have to say it was one of the best movies I've seen this year. It was funny, heart-felt, and very real. It's about a single dad who's raising three girls on his own, who by chance finds a second chance at love with someone who's not available.

I had an interesting week. Mr. Great Two Dates has moved to another state, but not before telling me that I'm an intimidating woman, because I don't need to be fixed. Apparently if I want to find a man I need to give the appearance that I need a man to fix me, even if I don't.

I've been reading this amazing book called "Captivating" I've actually read it 4 times now. It's about a woman's heart and soul from a christian Godly stand point. God made woman infinitely strong. Where God didn't make us as physically strong as a man (except in child birth, I'd like to see a man do that), a woman's strength lies in her internal strength. God made us strong. He made me strong.

So I learned something this week from Mr. Great Two Dates. I don't want a man who's intimidated by me. I want a man who is my equal in strength and compassion. I want a man who will encourage me and raise me up and will allow me to do the same for him when he needs it and won't be too afraid or intimidated to tell me.

I want to be surprised. I want life to take me off guard. I want God's will for my life this year. I want to stop trying to control every move God makes and allow him to surprise me.

10 comments:

Leah said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out with Mr.2 dates guy, but sounds like for the better in the long run. While reading your post I thought of this quote:

"God always gives His best to those that leave the choice to Him."

Praying for you!

Frank said...

What is this? Am I hearing some sense of wisdom and acknowledgement of worth and dignity from one of my nieces. And yes if I have insulted the others with a harsh truth, then tough.
IF MOST OF TODAY'S GENERATION had this idea then we may actually see a generation of young men who understand the leadership and responsibility they must pursue. Coming from the male end of the spectrum, if a guy is given what he wants without the effort or commitment to love a woman for the rest of his life, then he will never grow up or pursue the potential that he was created to pursue. Thus we have many single guys who may have a few kids with different ladies and a lot of baptisms/dedications before weddings.
I married a "strong" woman, who is my partner and friend. She was doing fine without me in terms of taking care of herself and growing. I did not marry her to fix her or expect her to fix me. But we do expect the Lord to use each other as His prime agent in dicipleship and growth.
What your gentleman wanted was a wife who would follow him without him considering that he would sacrifice for her. What you want is a man you desire to follow because you see him offering and showing you a sacrificial love.
That man would be wonderful and loyal husband and the right man to raise Isaac to be a godly and righteous man.
There are many men in the kingdom that are this way. You just have to open yourself up to the Spirit to have the eyes to see them.
I love you all
Uncle Frank

steffany said...

Captivating is a great book. Just don't be so "strong" that your man can't give you strength through his love. He needs to be your "hero" and you need to be his "strength" through your love. Though equal, completely different, and desperately insufficient without God.
But I'm preaching to the choir...

In Christ's Peace,
Your sister in Him
Steffany, One happily married woman of strength. Married to her knight in shining armor, against all odds for 13 years.

Brandi said...

There isn't much left to say. . .I love the quote from Leah!!

Uncle Frank, I want you to have a blog too!

What a sweet man! I love his concern and care for his sweet niece! Thanks for all of your words of wisdom!

Love ya,
Brandi

Anonymous said...

Clearly, Mr. Great Two dates is an idiot and is looking for a project. You are a strong independent woman who adopted a special boy from Africa. You are amazing and should waste one minute wondering about anything other than whats happening with you and Isaac... the universe will bring you exactly what you need.

Rebecca said...

ahhh - so sad it didn't work out with Mr. 2 dates!! But, I'm sure someone more deserving will find you :)

btw - I saw that you are going to work at E! One of my best friends works there! Her name is Susan Toombs...I told her about you tonight and she said you should look her up!!

Instantly Mama said...

Mr. Great Two Dates doesn't know what he's missing! You are an awesome woman and I am confident that God has wonderful plans for you - whether single or "attached".

Pam said...

Ok, been lurking awhile. De-lurking to say that my awesome, also quite strong sister, must have gone out with that guys....or about 10 more like him. She finds these guys, who are great for two dates, then they scare themselves off from her. Where are the strong Godly men that aren't afraid to settle down, find a strong woman to follow God's will with?
I agree, start a blog Uncle Frank!
Pam
Micah's Momma (India)

Jamie said...

I, too, vote for Uncle Frank to start a blog! ;0) And all I have to say to you about this, Jocelyn, is a hearty AMEN to your post. You and your heart are right where they need to be.
Much love,
Jamie Z. :0)

Angela said...

Marriage so totally ROCKS!!! But ONLY when you're married to the one God has planned for you.

I've tried marriage my way-- worst times of my life.

and marriage God's way--- How is it possible that one woman could be so incrediably blessed???

Don't settle, and don't rush...Wait on God's plan and you will have a lifetime of happiness ahead.

If you are intimidating to him it is really no reflexion of you but an insecurity of his. His problem- not yours! Keep being you just as God made you.