We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Monday, November 12, 2007

2 Months 3 Days


So it's November 12th and Isaac and I have been home in the US for 2 months and 3 days. I am blown away at how quickly time has passed by. It feels like yesterday we were getting off the plane in New York.

Isaac is doing great. He is thriving in school and is slowly but surely catching up. He is quite the drummer and loves to play basketball and football (soccer). His adjustment is going well and I'm happy to announce we have had very few issues as he gets use to America and all that it has to offer. His favorite place on earth is Target. He loves to just go and walk around and look at everything. He really wants me to buy the Christmas Tree at target so I'm starting to lean towards the Fake tree, even though about 30 of you are telling me to go real! I took the last person's comment to heart...it said "Ask Him!"

I did and Isaac is very adamant that Target provides everything else in our home, it should provide the tree as well. Every store we go to there are fake trees and he looks them over than expresses that the one at Target is nicer. You have to love that American culture that is sadly becoming a part of my beautiful African son's life.

On another note I saw an amazing film today called "Bella"...if you want to be touched go see this film. It's a tender story about a man who befriends a woman who finds out she's pregnant, his painful past and her unsure future collide. I felt so good at the end of that film, it just touched my heart. Oh and it's pro-adoption. That's always a good thing.

This past weekend Isaac and I attended a southern California gathering of adoptive family. It was so great to meet all the amazing family in SoCal that have adopted from Liberia and Haiti. I love hearing how God worked through each of their lives to make adoption an option for their families...God never stops amazing me with his perfect timing and understanding in all thing.
Someone said to me today, "If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans!" I'll leave you with that.

6 comments:

Brandi said...

Yeah! I love how quickly he is adjusting. . but, I bet it makes you a bit sad at times! I love the idea of getting your tree from Target. You should ask for Target giftcards for him for Christmas too!

Love you,
Bran

Tama said...

Thanks for updating! I can't believe it has been 2 months already. Any word from doctors? Or are you still waiting on that test? Glad it is going so well!

Angel said...

Great choice... he SHOULD decide. :0) Angel

Donna Barber said...

Jocelyn- can we talk- haha!
Did we talk in Liberia about who is the parent and who is the child?
Seriously though- he gets a vote but mom rules cause mom is always right.
He will love what ever you do for Xmas. Heck go all the way and ship a "real" tree from Wisconsin. haha!!!

Katie Moore said...

Hey Jocelyn,
My name is Katie Moore and I am doing a senior exit project on international adoption vs. domestic adoption. I was wondering if you would be willing to allow me to include your amazing story in with my project. I need some questions answered about your process and some pictures for emphasis. I found your blog through Angel Rutledge's blog. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Katie

Andrea said...

Dear Jocelyn,

My name is Andrea and I was just in Liberia in October. I went with my church, but was hoping to find out more about adoption because of several families I know who have adopted from Liberia. In the Monrovia airport I met someone who was coming home with her son and daughter and she said she knows you! She thought you'd be a good contact for me. I am single and would enjoy/appreciate communicating with you about your journey.
I've been following your blog since a friend, Abby, referred me it in August.

God bless you abundantly!
Andrea