We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving & Reality

The days leading up to Thanksgiving were fun to say the least...my favorite moment so far was Isaac climbing in the freeze at the store to pick out the biggest turkey he could find. He was actually in the freezer digging around. I watched him dig through the frozen birds, yelling at me, "mommy it's cold!" then going back to his work. He pulled out an 18.7 pound bird and said "This one! This is the big one!"

Yesterday was an emotional day for me. I woke up with an intense feeling of emotions that I had no idea what to do with. As I helped Isaac get dressed I realized that this was our first Thanksgiving together. He asked me a hundred time "When does Thanksgiving start?" "It is Thanksgiving right now Isaac." "Then we eat now?" He really wanted to eat his "Giant chicken!"

While the turkey was in the oven, we went to see "August Rush". In a pivotal scene in the movie when August (an orphan) is reuniting with his family, Isaac took my hand. I know he had no idea that the moment he was grabbing my hand was rather cinematic in itself, in that moment in the darkness of the theater I cried, because I couldn't imagine the pain I would feel if I didn't have him with me anymore. I couldn't imagine my life without him. I don't think my heart would know how to beat without him in my life.
I spent the rest of the day pushing off tears. Every time I looked at him, I realized how blessed I was to have him here with me. There are no words to describe what I felt today. Last Thanksgiving Isaac wasn't even a fleeting thought in my mind. I had seen his photo, but I had NO intention of adopting him at that time, and I didn't spend even a single thought on him. I am amazed at all that God has done in my life in under a year. I went from being just me, to being a mother, someone responsible for another life, that is so much more important than myself.

I don't know if a new mother of a infant has these feelings during their first Thanksgiving, but there is something to be said when you are making a huge turkey dinner for a 7 year old child that has never had turkey or green bean casserole. Everything I did, he watch with intensity. He stood on his chair next to me in the kitchen itching to help me in anyway he could. Every beat of the mash potatoes and basting of the turkey, he would ask me "is it Thanksgiving now?" "Isaac Thanksgiving is all day long, it is right now!"

I watch his eyes grow big when I pulled the turkey out of the oven, I watch his enjoyment as I let him mash the potatoes. I listened to the seriousness in his voice, when he said, "more gravy mama, we need plenty of gravy!"

These are experiences that only an adoptive parent of an older child can experience. A day that was just a "normal" holiday for me, has all new meaning. Isaac sat at the table and we said things we were thankful for. He looked at me and said, "I'm thankful for this food, and this sauce, and for my mommy."
I looked at him when he said that, and realized this is my son. This is my little boy. This is my heart and soul sitting across from me in the flesh, eating turkey. This is apart of my very being right here with me.
So today I'm so THANKFUL, because I can honestly say that today this all became real. I've asked when will this feel real. Today it feels real. When I woke up this morning, I yearned to see his beautiful face, I couldn't wait to hear his voice, I couldn't wait another moment to hear him say to me "you no remember?" then cock his head to the side and bat his eyes!
I'm thankful, for my son, because he has shown me what it is to be a woman and a mother.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This, oh dear sister, is probably the best post you have ever done. Your heart... your son...I can't wait for the first turkey that Joseph gets! Yes, what do we have to be thankful for? Our children. We are women--we are moms.

Love, Denise

Anonymous said...

AWESOME POST!!!!


GOSH, ISAAC IS SUCH A CUTE LIL BOY!

HE IS SOOOO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU AS A MOMMY!

:)

GOD BLESS!

baileygp said...

Oh my gosh.....you totally made me cry. You definitely have a very special little boy there. Can't wait to hear about Christmas!

Christina said...

Awwww awesome post....you had me crying.
Glad Isaac got to share his first Thanksgiving with you as a family and what a good job at picking out that" giant chicken".

Julie Redman said...

Loved your post....I agree with Denise, this is the best one yet!
Julie

Tama said...

Pass the Kleenex ladies!!!
Thank you for your raw honesty you beautiful woman mommy!
In Him, Tama

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

I have loved reading through your journey! This post made me so excited to meet my son and share these experiences with him one day! there is obvously so much love in your home- it shows in the pictures and through your words. God bless!!

missy said...

Welcome to mommyland. You have a lifetime ahead of you full of unexplained, unexpected emotions and tears. Aren't they the best
Missy

Brandi said...

How stinkin' precious are you? Happy thanksgiving and give our love to your little man! Come visit us. . .I'll say it again! We are thinking reunion here in Orlando in May. . .whaddya think?

bran

Jana said...

He is so beautiful, as was your post. God bless.

Single PAP said...

that was a beautiful post. i have tears streaming down my face. lovely and heartfelt. wonderful.

TN said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you so much for writing. It just lifts me up to see you with your son and to read these words. I am so happy for you and for Isaac. Just beautiful beyond words.

Beaming in KY,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh...How wonderful! God is so good. I can't wait until my day!

Love,

Melodie

Leah said...

Wonderful post...there really is nothing like being a mom. My journey to motherhood, though not the same as yours, has brought so many of the same emotions and has humbled me to no end. God is so wonderful in letting us experience just a taste of the emense love He has for us in the great consuming love we have for our children.

Elizabeth said...

I have to agree...this is your best post by far! I do not have children yet (in God's time) but I can't wait for the day I have these feelings for someone of my own...someone so special! Thank you so much for sharing! You are so blessed to be the mommy that God chose for this little angel!
God Bless,
Elizabeth

Tasha Kent said...

So beautifully written!!

Lynn said...

I loved this sweet post. What an awesome love letter to your son. I loved that you cooked that big ol' turkey for just the two of you. So special.

Lynn (in Doha)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I am a lurker reader of your blog but that post has definitely pulled me out of lurkdom. I think that at some point you should consider submitting that blog entry and photos for publication- truly one of the best personal reflections on adoption of an older child. What a blessing you are to each other! Isn't God so GREAT!!
Rebecca
Mama to two and waiting for our Liberian son

Angel said...

Oh my gosh. You are making me cry. That is just a beautiful post. Just precious. I am so happy for both of you. Angel