
So today was Halloween. Isaac dressed up as Spiderman. He was so cute...I almost died. Then we went to Children's Hospital here in LA. I have to say I was very very impressed with the hospital. It's such a wonderful, sweet, environment. There is a 24 hour McDonald (in the hospital), a $4 flat fee for all day parking (in LA that is unheard of), and there are playgrounds all over the hospital. Every person that walked past Isaac whether doctor or nurse said hi to him. They really made us feel at home...In fact he felt so at home that he asked if we could live there.
Dr. Tolo was amazing. He and Isaac hit it off immediately. So what we found out is that he can't tell me a whole lot until he sees Isaac's MRI. Now the kicker is that in order to do an MRI on a child they have to put him under general anesthesia. The only place to do this is CHOLA since children can have a bad reaction to general anesthesia.
Some of the options that he mentioned to fix Isaac is of course surgery (which doesn't seem to be our best option at this time in his life, because of how small he is!)The other option is traction. That's when they put you in a halo and stretch out the spine, back into place. That's an option they are looking at and then when he gets bigger they will do the final fix through surgery.
Now even with all these ideas Dr. Tolo won't know the actual best way to proceed until we get the MRI and he has time to look it over. Now here is the kicker! God is teaching me a lesson in patients!
We can't get the MRI until JANUARY 2nd! Can you believe it. I have to wait two months and two days before we can even begin to look at our options. God is so messing with me :) I was hoping to have Isaac on the way to recovery by Thanksgiving and back in school right after the new year. Now we won't even begin the road to recovery until the New Year.
So God HAS a plan (thank you Uncle Frank for reminding me of this) and we are gonna go with it. But I won't lie it's a bit of a let down. So for now we are going to focus on school and catching Isaac up as much as possible, and we will know more in January. So that is that for now!


13 comments:
OH MAN! Patience stinks. I know that must leave you feeling like your just hanging. :0( THAT being said I do know God's timing is always better than ours. He's always on time even when it drives me CRAZY!!!! :0) Sorry it's so delayed. Bummer. Hugs, Angel
"God, your assuming has a plan.." I challenge and encourage to think over that sentence. Is He flying by the seat of his pants up to this day. He throws darts at a board and directs the happenings of the universe. You have to see God as bigger than you can imagine. He has a plan and He is good and patience is a fruit of the Spirit.
You have it, you will perservere and you will understand real faith.
I love you both.
Uncle Frank
I have been quietly reading your blog since you were in Liberia picking up Issac. It has been great to watch Him work.
If I may say, you may want to speak with your insurance to find out how far you can stray from home in order to get the MRI. I am from CA and I know that it does take months to get an MRI,even if it is an emergency it takes time, supply and demand. I am in Indiana now,and I had a brain MRI a year ago and when we scheduled it, I was expecting it to be a long way off. It was the next day!! Here there are people to do it, but not a lot of people who need them. If you could find a town that has the means to do it you may be able to get it done sooner, if insurance will pay. You may need to drive a bit, I'd say go East toward the desert.Just an idea.
Will be praying for Issac's back, doctors and your adjustment as a new mom. You are amazing!
Emily
Oh man, I feel for you. I am impatiently awaiting news on Isaac... and I'm not even his mama, and his mama hasn't even introduced me to him!!!
Anyway, now you can spend more time just bonding!!! And now I can see Isaac.
Love,
Katy
God wanted you guys to ejoy your first Chrstmas together!
Just wanted to let you know, we have an adopted son with medical issues as well. He had general anesthesia not long after getting here for a biopsy, and it wasn't so bad. ALthough he came out of it kicking and screaming!
We are praying for you guys out East here.
I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is to "have a plan" and it not work out! I hate that God doesn't let us look over his shoulder and reschedule as we think necessary! Maybe it's b/c we aren't all knowing! ha ha! Good work in trusting. . .continue to work through that with God. My favorite lesson is from Jacob wrestling with God and he wrestles and wrestles all night long and refuses to give up until he gets his blessing. Where is your blessing / lesson in this? Don't give up until you know the AMAZING things God is trying to reveal to you about HIMSELF!!
Love you!
Bran
OH MAN!!!! That stinks!!! But I'm sure it's all for a reason!!!! Keeping you guys in my thoughts!!
OH Yeah.. You do have a very cute Spiderman!!!!
Wow! You would think that once you finally get them home, the waiting part is done!! He is adorable in his Spiderman outfit though!!
Love,
Darbi
Hello!
I have been reading your blog for quite a while. My daughter from Liberia has also had to have a full anesthesia MRI. We tried without anesthesia, but even the smallest movements(moving lips, etc) get picked up. And to get the anesthesia takes longer(we went to Seattle Children's), because you have to have and anesthesiologist there, recovery, and on and on. But the good news is that those nurses rock! My daughter had 2 MRIs with general anesthesia and did great both times. Tell your cutie that when he wakes up he gets Sprite or juice and biscuits galore!
And one of the beauties of waiting a bit is that you guys get to know each other a better before the MRI. Cause it is kinda scary waking up, and its cool to kind of have that....I don't know, better knowing of each other (does that make sense??).
Hang in there, God loves the whole patience thing, right? :)
Blessings,
Tabitha
www.pelogifam.wordpress.com
Hey Jocelyn~
I'm sorry that things aren't working out liked you planned for Isaac. There is nothing easy about waiting and no good words to make the waiting easier. I wish I knew some to give to you. : )
I'll be praying for you and hoping you and Isaac will have a great first Thanksgiving and Christmas together.
Love,
Becky Avella
Thanks for keeping us updated about the doctors appointment. I agree patience isnt my strong point either. Isaac is the cutest Spiderman!
Ugh! I've been waiting on the edge of my seat to hear the plan, too!! Yuck! Well, you can be assured I'm getting a lesson in patience right along with you, my friend. ;0) I'll keep praying!
Love,
Jamie Z. :9)
having dealt with the whole medical thing for years now....make sure the MRI department at CHLA knows you want it sooner and that they can put you on the cancellation list....
And it doesnt hurt to call them every so often to check for a sooner appt.
Post a Comment