We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Little Vote

Okay so I am having a hard time making a very important decision that will affect Isaac for the rest of his life. So I though I would take a vote!

DO I BUY A FAKE CHRISTMAS TREE or BUY A REAL ONE?

I say that this will affect Isaac because my mom NEVER bought a real tree. We always had a fake one...it was fun to pull the tree out of the box and set it up, it was nice knowing we never killed a tree just to put presents under it. But at the same time I never knew what it was to have the whole house smell like pine needles, or to have those needles all over the floor, or get to watch the tree slowing rot, until we threw it on the front porch and waited for the trash guys to come and get it.

I found a beautiful tree at Target for $179...a lot of money I know, but If I buy a tree every year for the next 6 years I will have spent at least that! So what do you all think...I really want to know.

Do I buy the fake one and continue the Tarquini tradition, or do I introduce Isaac to the world of Christmas real tree and all? This is a serious decision, I'm acutally loosing sleep over this, PLEASE HELP ME!

39 comments:

mora said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I never had a fake tree...may be because in Germany we usally don`t have them, and I never saw one (exept the ones in shop windows) to buy or in a friends house.
A friend of me is working in a tree scholl and he told me that christmas trees are only plant and grown up for christmas, they need to cut them of they don`t have a place in the forrest. I don´t know how this is in the US but I would buy a real one especcially because it is Isaacs first christmas. A house smelling like the tree and the falling needls you have to sweep away are somthing of my childhood i never want to miss. We never through out tree away, we burned it down and it was a loud cracking fire and the whole house was smelling again. In germany you can also bring your old christmas tree to IKEA, they make little stuff like boxes etc. out of it ;-D

Brandi said...

We do the fake one (pre lit!) and then I go get clippings and make lots or real wreaths so the house still smells amazing! This way, if the wreath dies, I can just go get more clippings and make another one!

Brandi

Pam said...

I'm torn. I have great memories of both. There was this one year we did the "cut your own tree down thing". We picked out the perfect tree, my dad told us all to "Stand back, I don't want this to fall on anyone." He proceeded to cut the tree down, only for it to fall....ON HIM!!! Classic holiday story told EVERY year. ;o) LOL! But then, there is the year that we started putting the fake one up on Thanksgiving Day to officially usher in the Christmas season. So, we would leave it up for over a month. Remember real trees don't last as long.
Here's an idea: Do a real tree for his first Christmas. Hit the after Christmas sales for a great tree. That way, you won't spend $179 bucks on the tree. Then, you won't feel like you have to use the artificial tree every year if you don't spend as much on it.
I can't wait for our first Christmas with our Micah either. Happy planning!
Pam

Tama said...

You live in California for goodness sake!!! Where real ones cost a fortune! Buy a fake one get an evergreen air freshener and put it under the tree and whala... He'll never know the difference. Plus all the frustration of lights you have to buy every year becuase they are tangled, lights missing. We finally got a fake one a few years back and am still stabbing my foot on pine needles that got embedding in the carpet as it dried out and fell off as we carted it out!
Jocelyn, this is a personal decision but I don't think he will need therapy if you get a fake one! Make a tradition or memory of getting the box out every year. Get one of those little potporri things and have "a certain smell" in the house that will be his memeory of christmas. What ever you decide... Issac will have great memories! We love you!

Mom2noah said...

REAL ONE! LOL!! We always had a fake on egrowing up & now we buy real ones. There is NOTHING like the smell of the tree in the house. AND.....this time of year, Febreeze has a spray air freshner that smell JUST LIKE a tree. IT is evergreen something. I LOVE IT!!! (and I am not big on fake smells) You have to try it......ESPECIALLY if you go with the fake one.

:)

Tasha Kent said...

Buy a real one this year and then after Christmas, but a fake one for 80% off.

I bought my fake one at the Target in Culver City a few years ago after Christmas for a grand total of $28.

International Mommy said...

Hey!!!

We had a real tree back home once. It fell on me! Since then we have had a fake-hahaha!!

We have a fake one too, but why don't you try a real one this year, and then after you see how much of a pain in the butt it is you can own a fake with no regrets or what-ifs.

Love,
Charity

Anonymous said...

i say the real one! i can smell the aroma already!:)

Bingaling said...

I agree with Tasha and Pam...get the real on this year so that both you and Isaac have the experience of having a real tree. Then, right after Christmas grab a fake one on clearance at Target and you'll be set up for the future. I love the look, feel, and smell of real trees, but I have to be honest and say that for convenience sake, we'll be getting a fake tree for our house. Especially because we won't be at our house for Christmas anyway - we'll be at the grandparent's. I might feel differently if we were going to be home for Christmas, but the last thing I want to worry about while we're away from home for the holidays is whether or not the tree is drying out, the needles are falling on the carpet, and we'll be coming home to a fire hazard!
Chanda

Anonymous said...

REAL THIS YEAR AND FAKE NEXT YEAR...besides, you're going to have a new husband next year that will foot the bill either way! Love, Denise

Joy said...

If you have any yard, or a friend/family member who has a yard that would let you plant one in their yard - buy a living Christmas tree. Plant it when you are done and it will mark the first Christmas that Isaac came to live with you. You can watch it grow over the years and it will be so special! If you plant it in a front yard hopefully it will be there for years to come for him to show his children and grandchildren (I know you don't want to think about that now :0)

Then buy a fake one in the after Christmas sales this year (that is the thrifty side of me - I woudl never buy one full price). The other great thing about having a fake one is that you can decorate it early or leave it up even if you go on vacation and you do not need to worry about it.

Amanda said...

Buy the real one. Just this year. They really are a pain in the butt. The after christmas sales are awesome and you can get a tree for a whole lot less than 179. Just don't pay a fortune for lights because pre-lit trees rock. I personally would rather my house smell like cookies at the holidays anyways. You could also simmer some cinnamon sticks on the stove (on low). They smell really good too.

emily said...

I grew up with a real tree and thought that was the only way to do things..married a guy that always had a fake tree and thought that was the only way to do things:)

We started with real trees and then our allergies were terrible the entire month of December, so now we have a pre-lit tree.I do have some fresh greenery for the smell.

My vote: do the whole buy a real tree this year for the experience and then get a pre-lit fake tree on sale after Christmas. We got ours for 50% off right after Christmas. Then Isaac will know the tradition of getting a tree and sweeping out all of the dead needles in January and you can get a bargain on a tree. Just my opinion--:)

Jennifer Isaac said...

I'd totally do the pre-lit fake one! We are stuck in the "we have to buy a real tree cause that's what we've always done" rut, and if I were starting at the beginning it would be fake all the way!!!!!

- Jennifer
http://theisaacsliberia.blogspot.com
http://notmyliberianblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS WANTED A REAL TREE FOR CHRISTMAS AND MY PARENTS NEVER WOULD GET ONE SO LAST YEAR WHEN MY 10 YR OLD WANTED ONE I SAID OK GREAT WE WILL HAVE FUN PICKING ONE OUT. WE SPENT $60 PLUS HAD TO BY A STAND AND WHEN WE GOT HOME IT SMELT OF PEE !!!!!!!!! AFTER A FEW HOURS WE WERE ALL WATERY EYED AND GETTING STUFFY NOSES AS WELL. I WAS SO READY TO GET RID OF THE TREE AFTER THE FIRST WEEK. I HELD OUT FOR A FEW MORE WEEKS TILL CHRISTMAS AND IT MADE IT TILL 10 AM CHRISTMAS DAY AND LETS SAY THAT NEEDLES GOT EVERYWHERE IN THE HOUSE. IT WAS A MESS. BUT I HAVE BOTH GOOD AND BAD MEMORIES AND MY SON LOVED THE TREE. ANYTHING TO MAKE MY SON HAPPY !BUT I WILL NOT EVER DO IT AGAIN!!!!

Jamie said...

Jocelyn, Jocelyn...
There is NO question! A REAL tree is a MUST!! ;0) If you dare to go fake, you will just have to send Isaac up here for Christmas. :0) Oh, wait... I might be spending Christmas in Liberia...
Much love,
Jamie Z. :0) (You know, of the Z TREEhouse! ;0) )

Soltana said...

We have a fake one..I bought at a Thanksgiving day sale for $50!!!! I agree about getting a real one then buying one after for A LOT less!!! I put up the real wreathes and use the pine in decorations..that way it still smells GREAT!!!
I know it's hard..I hope everyone has helped you out

Becky Avella said...

This post made me laugh because it has been the annual Christmas debate at our house since we got married. My husband hates real trees (the mess, the expense, etc.) And I was raised that fake trees are ANTI-CHRISTMAS. : ) I think I'm losing this battle and will have to give into the fake tree and just enjoy Mom and Dad's real tree when we go to visit. I'll have to check out Target....I know that is expensive, but it is actually a good price compared to others I've been looking at.

Giving in,
Becky : )

P.S. I have found that kids love whatever THEIR own tradition is. Pat loves his memories of getting the fake tree all set up, I love my tradition of going to the tree stand and then out to pizza...Isaac will love the tradition that you make with him

Anonymous said...

Joce!!!! A REAL ONE! They are messy but so much to have the adventure of going to a Christmas tree lot and picking out your one special tree. Plus the smell cant't be beat by anything!
I love you,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

get him a real tree just this once - Kiwi never saw one either...
then you will appreciate the ease of packing up a fake one - or not, if there is no place to put it!
or...you will love those pine needles so much that you'll have one every year forever.
mom

Anonymous said...

I like Tasha's comment - she's got it all together.
mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness get a real one! They smell great and look beautiful, and Isaac would have the best time picking it out.
If you don't like the idea of killing a tree, for a little more you can get one with a root ball, and plant it after Christmas. When I was growing up we had a fake tree once or twice and it changed the whole atmosphere. I had trouble believing it was Christmas without a real tree:-)

Anonymous said...

DO A REAL ONE! We had fake trees all growing up and as soon as I got my chance, I have never turned back from the real one. Here we have a few farms and now go an pick one there. In a more northern place you may have more choices. I love having a new tree each year to decorate and I don't have to store anything! We have even had fun picking out trees at Home Depot, it's one of our experiences of the season! Thast my vote!

Single PAP said...

I remember reading somewhere that the fake trees are actually really slow to disintigrate (when you eventually throw them out) and therefore actually really bad for the environment. Real trees, on the other hand, are biodegradable. You might want to google it to help in your decision-making process. We always has a real tree, and yes the needles are a pain, but the smell of fresh pine and watering the tree and seeing the different ones you get year after year are part of the whole holiday memories. I vote for real!!

Mandy said...

We always had a real tree growing up. It was a big family tradition of going to the farm and picking out "just the perfectone." About 4 years ago we went to an artificial one. They are much easier to take care of and you dont have to water it, sweep up pine needles, etc. We put the artifical one up right after Thanksgiving and enjoy it much longer. I say go with a real one this year, then hit up a fake one in the after Christmas sales. Evergreen candles are a great subsitute for the scent as well!

Chelsea Bergeron said...

A real Tree.......absolutely!!! Some of my very best childhood memories are of picking out our Christmas tree. We would spend an hour or so looking for the perfect tree......and it made Christmas very special!!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have gone and cut our own tree the past few years. It is a tradition we are looking forward to sharing with our children. We go to the national forest and pick one out, cut it down with a hand saw, and bring it home. They have designated areas where they need to thin the forest anyway, so we don't feel too bad cutting down the tree and taking it because they need to be cut down anyway to prevent fires spreading too quickly.

Frank said...

UNCLE FRANK (who is a TARQUINI)WEIGHS IN....
It is not the tradition of this Tarquini household to buy a fake tree. Of course, asking a Latvian (that happens to be my wonderful wife) to do that is like asking the Russians to please takeover Eastern Europe again.
I have never regreted this tradition and for your Tarquini family it is not tradition. Now for the economic reasons. C'mon...Don't do the, I can buy a fake tree for so many years and blah, blah it pays for itself.
Go for it. GET IT REAL, Get that CHRISTMAS SMELL. YOU LIVE IN HOLLYWOOD. IF YOU WANT FAKE JUST RUN AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
You need a real tree for a real woman. And if you really have the boobs (I don't think balls fits in this context). You would put real candles on it on Christmas eve and light them like we do at this Italian/Latvian house.
Sorry for the course language but really this is a serious issue. One I am willing to cause massive societal divisions over.
As for the blog requests...I am tempted...But that means I actually have to think instead of commenting which lets me react.
By the way, how come this ellicits over 28 comments and most of the entries have less than 15.
Love
UNCLE FRANK
SOME TRADITIONS DESERVE TO DIE>>>

Dono & Laurie said...

HI Jocelyn-
I always had a real tree growing up...and until 3 years ago...We live in Colorado for goodness sake. The first year we got a fake one was because we were in Mexico until Christmas Eve. After having the pre-lit pull it out of a box, kids decorate, and barley any mess to clean-up...PRAISE JESUS for the fakie! I love the smell...can be accomplished in alternative ways...not to hip on the, tree being so dried out, by Dec. 26th, that it could spontaneously combust into flames!
Happy Tree Shopping!
LOVE,
LAURIE

Anonymous said...

I would try a real one this year. If you are totally annoyed by it. Get a fake one for next year when they go on clearance after Christmas.

simplychani said...

Real tree, real tree, real tree!

My parents brought home a phony tree one year... I boycotted it. Refused to decorate. They finally gave in and brought home a real tree Christmas eve. We never had that problem again!

Go real. You'll never go back!!

Angela said...

Comment #1 - I totally vote fake tree! You can always light candles or spray sprays for the holiday scent. (Or bake sugar cookies with him so the house smells like that.)

Comment #2-- We MIGHT (I'm not totally sure) have a nice extra christmas tree that we can just give you-- I'll check with my husband. Since you will be here today I'll let you know and you can let me know if you want it.

See you in a few hours!

S and K said...

come down to san diego when my kids come home and we'll take all the kids out to the "chop your own" Christmas tree farm and let each kiddo chop their own personal small tree down. Then you can still get the pre-lit tree (which we have too!) that will not be a fire hazard and you can have it around for many, many years to come! Also, the pre-lit fake trees are awesome... no trouble with lights. no watering, no needle vacuuming, etc. the little real trees smell nice and are much easier to handle.
that's my take on it all!
Love ya,
Katy

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of getting a real tree this year and then picking up a good fake one at the after-Christmas sale!

I am a first-time commenter. I just gave a very small token in the One Dollar Adoption fund, so I thought I'd say hello today. I stumbled across your blog one day quite randomly, and I've been following your journey and keeping you and Isaac in my prayers. God bless you both!

Angel said...

Ohhhhh I love picking out a real tree every year BUT I am sure you will have precious memories either way! :0) Angel

Julie Shaw said...

ask him???

MA said...

hi jocelyn! you don't know me. i'm katy's sister, ma. i've been reading your blog for several months now though and you seem to be a super mom to isaac, as well as an obviously great person.

i always had a fake tree growing up, but then i met my hubby and i went with his fam out to pick out a real tree, which was so much fun and a memory i'll never forget. unfortunately, our second christmas together, i realized i was allergic to pine. anyway, ihope that you make a good decision! and fortunately, it's not like you can't change your mind next year!! heck, get two trees! one real and one fake! =o)

Anonymous said...

Get REAL:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I had both types of trees growing up and until I was an adult I always thought it was cool to get the real tree, but that's not a really good reason to do anything. As a mother myself, I look at all things from a moral perspective. Tough at first, not so hard now. I decided that cutting down a tree wasn't the best way to celebrate the birth of Jesus. I bought live trees and went with my daughter to plant them after Christmas for awhile (expensive, but truly fulfilling). A few years ago, I bought a fake tree, as well, but will go back to the old tradition when I can. Tradition can mean a lot to provide continuity, but it isn't a good reason to continue to do something that you may not feel right about. I don't really know what brought you to this crossroad, but thought I'd share what brought me to mine. My daughter has grown up seeing me make the smallest decisions based on a love for humanity, animals, and God. If you have a reason, whichever you choose, tell your child. it will become part of who they are and part of their family story. Merry Christmas! God Bless!