We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Things I learned this week

So I've learned a lot this week. To start the easiest way to get Playdo out of the carpet is you let it dry (takes about 24 hours) then vacuum it up. Don't ever let your kids eat on the carpet even if they beg and promise not to spill anything. If you do and one of them happens to spill an entire plate of chicken and corn have them pick up as much as possible then wait 24 hours and vacuum the rest up. IF your vacuum dies immediately go to target and buy a new one.

Kids will repeat anything. They hear everything. Isaac said a really bad word that he heard someone NOT in my home say...I had to explain to him that four letter words that start with F should never be said. He thought he was in trouble, but it was an honest mistake, that we took care of, he was deeply confused, I'm guessing that isn't a word used much in Liberia.

Catching up in school isn't going to be as easy as you thought it would be. Just because Isaac speaks English he still has a huge language barrier that makes him think completely differently than we do. Patients is so much more than a virtue, it's a gift that God hasn't really blessed me with, but I'm trying.

Waking up every morning and seeing Isaac asleep (usually next to me since he crawls into bed with me almost every night), is the best few moments of my day. Every morning I wake up and thank God that Isaac is home here with me. There is so much going on in Liberia right now that is slowing adoptions down to a halt. For the parents that are in the process right now waiting for their children to come home, by heart goes out to you as you wait. God's timing is perfect in all things, but I feel an overwhelming sense of relief to have Isaac home.

Isaac had his dentist appointment this past week. I am so proud to announce (maybe brag just a little, Mom's can do that can't they?) he has no cavities and his teeth are perfect. He does have a cracked tooth but it's a baby tooth, so they think it will fall out soon, so there is no need to treat it.

Isaac has his appointment with the surgeon Dr. Tolo at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles (Lovingly called CHOLA) on October 31st at 4pm. So we should know more then about how they are going to fix Isaac's back.

So this week has been a fun week of learning things like kids are a mess, I have to clean the kitchen twice a day instead of once, I have to vacuum everyday and I do laundry twice a week now. Having children is exhausting, and I only have one. God bless the big families and the mama that run them. My heart goes out to you!

Isaac is quite the photographer. He really has an eye. He took all these photos!

14 comments:

Jamie said...

Ha, ha! I had to laugh about the vacuum... going to Target is PRECISELY what I need to do, but I keep hoping it just won't smell like burning plastic the next time I turn it on... ;0) So glad to read your updates on settling in. It's wonderful!
Love,
Jamie Z. :0)

Brandi said...

Sweet post and sweet update on your little man. He is so cute! Great pics of you, by the way! You look like a beaming Mama!

Brandi

missy said...

I just love your little man :o)
Missy

Christina said...

I used to love it when my kids joined me in bed. My middle daughter used to wake me up in the middle of the night just to tell me she was getting in bed with me...finally nipped that in the bud and I would just find her there when I woke up. Aiden beats the heck out of you when he sleeps with you so I am hopeing as he gets older he becomes better with sleeping with mom and dad.

Julie Redman said...

I love the part of getting a new vacuum! With 6 kids our vacuum has been replaced 3 times, I believe! Have you heard the clink, clink, clink and wondered what Isaac sucked up yet?
Julie

Frank said...

Yeah, the bed part will wear off in about three years, 26 inches of growth and puberty.
Jocelyn, Guys are looking over my shoulder when I am reading this blog and say who is that hot babe. It is kinda fun to stand up my 6'2" frame, look them in the eye and say, "That is my niece, she is a babe and you just don't meet the standard" Trust me these guys are not even "cute".
I like you philosophy on dirt and vacumes. But remember the wait till it drys does not seem to work with markers on walls, spilled paint on carpet, grease spatter, etc.

Tasha Kent said...

What a creative soul Isaac is! A musician and a photographer!

Anonymous said...

God, if I have kids- I will actually have to clean, won't I? That last pic of you that Isaac took is awesome- like an "oooh I look good" type pic:-)

Anonymous said...

CUTE!!!

Farrah said...

Your smile is breathtaking...

Little boy blue is cute as ever..
We are waiting on an update with you and Mr 2 dates in one week guy!

Angel said...

Don't worry. You'll get into the swing of things and you won't be able to remember what to do with yourself if he's out of the house. :0) They ARE messy!! Did you see my news yet? Angel

Soltana said...

SO funny!!! I get the "I promise not spill anything" speech all the time!!!

Vacuum story FUNNY!!!!
I'm glad things are going so well. Good luck at the Dr :)

Anonymous said...

so cute, love those pictures. I will be praying for patience for you. Don't worry its not something we get until we have to. Its developed,sadly you have to experience enought things that cause you not to be patiente to learn it. Sadly,many mother have not masterd this, including myself!

Jamie said...

LOL
Cleaning up after them sure is work, but it is so worth it, isn't it? I cannot stand playdoh and we seldom play with it because it makes a mess no matter where you play with it! Poor Isaac not knowing what he's saying and saying a bad word...I had to laugh about it. Kids do pick up on what they hear, that is for sure! Mine have done the same thing!

So glad to hear his dentist appointment went well! It's nice to get an update. Did you ever tell us more about that date yet? I will have to check...;)