When I was younger I wanted to be precious to someone, especially my dad. As I've gotten older and matured I long to be pursued, desired and wanted as a woman. Yet I must ask why am I so embarrassed by the depth of my desire for this. Though I can tell you that this is by no means my only desire. My other desire is a bit unconventional.
As a girls we are often raised to be wives and mothers. Often, too often we are told that our only place is in the home and kitchen and that we should desire to be mothers and wives first and everything else second. There's nothing wrong with this at all, though I must admit this is where I fall so desperately short.
Becoming a mother was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. Isaac changed my life in ways I never thought possible, but my desire to be apart of a great adventure still beats deep inside my soul.
"Their is something fierce in the heart of a woman. Simply insult her children, her man, or her best friend and you'll get a taste of it. A woman is a warrior too. But she is meant to be a warrior in a uniquely feminine way."
I feel as though I understand this. As a young girl and teenager I longed to be a cop, firefighter, soldier. If it involved any sort of action I was in. I longed to live life on the wild side. The women I grew up admiring were Arwen and Eowyn (the woman who were so instrumental in saving middle earth in "The Lord of the Rings", also Elizabeth Bennett from "Pride and Prejudice" because she was not afraid to go against the convention of her time. I longed to be like these woman, to know that in the end the part I played would mean something.
I don't want to be a "safe" and "nice" woman, not merely "sweet," but a passionate and powerful woman who is beautiful as a warrior. I have grown to want more than anything to be needed in this great adventure called life. My desire to be a "warrior" is not only to be needed, but like Arwen, Eowyn, and Elizabeth, I want to be irreplaceable.
All this being said, they say that every man wants three things; to "battle or fight", to find great adventure in his life, and finally that every man longs for a beauty to rescue. Where would Robin Hood be with Maid Marian?
I as a woman don't fear a man's strength if he is a good man. In fact I demand it. Why is it so taboo to expect a man to open my door, or pay for dinner? When did all this become a way of the past? Aren't women suppose to be women and men suppose to be men? When did this change? And how do we get it back again?
"A woman in the presence of a good man, a real man, loves being a woman. His strength allows her feminine heart to flourish. His pursuit draws out her beauty. And a man in the presence of a real woman loves being a man. Her beauty arouses him to play the man, it draws out his strength. She inspires him to be a hero."
I believe this life can be found. If we are willing to embark on a great adventure. That I, we can unveil the woman we were created to be, Glorious, powerful, captivating, and nothing less.
4 comments:
Dear Jocelyn,
You truly are a beautiful warrior, each of your posts is a reminder of what you have a accomplished! When I "grow up" I want to be a warrior too.
I enjoy reading your blog, not only to find out about Isaacs progress, but also to read your reflections, they make me think... always a good thing! :)
Greetings from Slovenia,
Tina
Great post and so true. I feel the same way you do! And I love the Captivating book. It's awesome! Highly recommend it to anyone!
Love,
Tina
Isn't Captivating an amazing book? I'm reading it for the third time right now.
I know what you are saying Jocelyn. You are doing something great, but you still long for more, for a godly man to pursue you, to be part of some adventure where you are irreplaceable, and in more ways than just being a wife and mother. Remember to pray and be patient. "Those who seek the Lord shall find Him". Everyday strive to make yourself a better, more Christlike person, knowing that God DOES have a plan in mind for you and every step of obedience you take today is making you more equipped to play that part in the journey God will lead you to.
Hi Jocelyn,
You don't know me but I know Charity and Brandi. I too am a single woman on the adoption journey. I completely agree with you on this post. I love the book Captivating and recommend it to all my friends, female and male.
Let me know if you find your adventurous gentleman. I want to meet his twin brother.
Post a Comment