We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Let it run like WATER!

So a lot has happened in the last few weeks.  I got sick, ended up in the hospital for a few very scary days.  Isaac was really upset.  I guess when all your eggs are in one basket and that basket gets sick, it's pretty upsetting.  But in the end, I was fine and just felt like crap for a few weeks.  But the worse is behind me now.

Last Friday night Isaac and I spent the night at our new apartment for the first time.  We moved to Calabasas, CA.  It's a beautiful small community about 10 minutes from Malibu Beach, our place sits on a lake and it's the kind of place where kids ride their skateboards in the road and men run with their dogs through the neighborhood in the evening.  It's as close to suburbia as you can get here in LA.  

Isaac's new school is awesome.  He will be going into kindergarten for the rest of the year and then do 1st grade again in the fall.  Something that should have been done in the first place.  

This month has been super stressful.  The hospital, moving, change!  I love Change.  

I love that sometimes change can be so constant that you don't even notice it until it's done!

My life over the last 6 months, since Isaac has been home, has felt like that.  The time has flown by at an alarming rate.  1/2 a year is gone, just like that.  

I have watched my beautiful son change from a scrawny, weak, broken little boy, into a strong-willed, powerful, sassy little man.  I have watched how he has bravely faced everything that has been thrown at him.  He's staring life in the face and winning.  

I also have changed.  I have had new experiences other than being a mom thrown at me over the last few months.  I have had to make decisions that were really hard at times.  I'm still in the process of figuring out what is best for me and my son.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the big changes that you will be reading about in upcoming posts is WATER!

Two things that Africa and the rest of the third world needs are Roads and WATER!

My friend Brandi  (www.homehopeandfurture.blogspot.com) a fellow adoptive mother has started a campaign with Spirit Liberia (www.spiritliberia.org)  called "I drink because I Care" (www.idrinkbecauseicare.blogspot.com)!

The idea is to raise money for wells in Liberia and then move on to other parts of Africa.  Please take a moment and check on the sites above for more information.  A well costs only $2500 and WILL save the lives of thousands of people.  The first well almost has all the money.  They still need about $750 and they will have the full amount to put a well in a community in Liberia called Rockhill, where 15,000 people don't have a single well of clean drinking water.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISAAC'S WELL

I will also be raising money for wells.  This will be a more personal campaign.  I was speaking with Isaac about where he grew up.  It's a town called Jacobtown, Liberia.  It's located behind an area called Red Light.  The most dangerous area of Liberia.  Violence, rape, theft, poverty, and depression run like water in this community.  Sadly water doesn't run here.  Jacobtown is a large community with no clean water sources.  

Something I want to do with Isaac is show him the world.  Not just America.  I want Isaac to not just understand compassion but to live it.

Isaac and I will be fundraising throughout the year to raise the $2500 we will need to buy a well for his home town.  

I want Isaac to be able to go back to Liberia in 2009 and give a well to the community that raised him for the first 7 years of his life.  I want him to be able to give living WATER to the people that gave him a chance at life.

The goal is to raise $2500 a year and dig one well somewhere in the third world.  Africa and Asia will be the main focus, and we will choose the location based on the needs of that area.  

The first well will be dug in Jacobtown, Liberia.

I will give more info about Isaac's Wells after Easter.  But in the meantime please check out "I drink because I care"!

9 comments:

Brandi said...

Thanks Jocelyn! We only have about $500 to go! I'm so praying like crazy! I love how God is using all our passions to join HIM in His work there! I think next month's well focus may be on kids and how they can raise all the money. . so, we'll talk!

Love you,
Bran

Faith said...

Great idea J!

Nikki said...

Wow, that is amazing. What a great idea!! Can't wait to hear more about this, I would LOVE to help!

Nikki

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna Barber said...

Glad to see you involved. I know life can get busy. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I am curious as to how you are going to try to raise money so that maybe I can do the same? This is awesome J!

Steph M.

annNEE said...

hey Jocelyn! It is exciting to hear that you are raising money for Isaac's hometown to have a well. I hope it comes in quickly!

annNEE said...

hey Jocelyn! It is exciting to hear that you are raising money for Isaac's hometown to have a well. I hope it comes in quickly!