We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

We're Moving out of the Ghetto

Hey all, so I wanted to make a short post to let you all know about a big change coming up for Isaac and I.  We are moving! 

I am so excited and Isaac is as excited as a 7 year old can be.  But I'm sure you are all looking for a brief backstory so here goes.  

I have been thinking about moving since the new year due to the terrible school district Isaac is in.  He has been drowning at school and even his teachers have told me that if I can get him out of the LA school district it would be best for him.  I did a little research of the areas near where we are now that are in a different school district and found a wonderful place called Calabasas, CA.

If you watched the show "Newlyweds" with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lache when they were still married this is where they lived.  Not that this fact is important, but it might give some of you reality TV junkies some geography!

The bad side to this area is that it is a very very wealthy area that doesn't believe that apartments should exist, at least not there, so finding a place took me a while.  But low and behold, God came through once again and in a big big way.

I found a condo for rent by the owner right on a private lake in a gated community that was within my price range.  Isaac will be attending school in an award winning school district and will be living on a lake with a pool (he is so excited about this) and if we want we can finally get a dog!  And the best part is that we are now 10 minutes from the ocean.

So as of March 15th we will be moving out of the ghetto and into a much nicer area, where truth be told I don't really have to worry about Isaac joining a gang, which where we live now is even a problem at the elementary level.

So we are super excited, a little nervous, but feel so blessed.  I feel like this will be a great move for us in the long term and I can't wait to start moving in.

I'll be posting later about our Ski/Snowboard trip this weekend.  I have some photos I need to develop!  But more on that later!

11 comments:

Angel said...

THAT IS AMAZING!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! That is such a wonderful place for you and Isaac. Look how God can turn things around on a dime. Awesome. :0) Hugs, Angel

Sintari said...

WOW!!! I'm so excited for you guys! This new place sounds AWESOME!! :)

Christina said...

AWESOME news. Glad things are looking up for you guys.

Brandi said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!

"Movin' on up. . ." Can't wait to see pics of the new place! Is your sis coming too?

Bran

Jocelyn said...

My sister won't be moving with us! She is going to head back home to Philly and live with my parents. So for the first time since Isaac came home we will be alone...I kind of look forward to that!

J

Nikki said...

Hi there! I am just trying to get the word out to other families who adopted (or are adopting) from Liberia, that the Charity of the Month for March is a family adopting a little boy named William from Liberia, and who already adopted a little girl named Naomi. I am stylizing blogs for $20 to raise money to go on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, and $5 of every blog stylized in March will go to their adoption. Thanks so much!
Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com

Becky Avella said...

Jocelyn,

Great news! Congratulations. I'm with Brandi and can't wait to see pictures of your new place.

I just have one question. Did you just way that you had film to DEVELOP? Huh? Are you still living in the film dark ages? Just Joking....

Love,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Dear Jocelyn,
I lived in north hollywood for several years. While it wasn't Beverly Hills it sure was not South Central or Comptom. You dont have to worry about the gangs adopting your 7 year old son. How ever I am glad that you have the opportunity to give your son a better education! God Bless!

Jocelyn said...

Well though North Hollywood has cleaned up quite a bit in the past few years, that is a serious gang problem in my neighborhood. At least once a week there are police raids on my street, and my son has been beat on at school by some of the latino gang's youngest members.

So I'm joking when I call it the "ghetto" but I'm very serious about the gang problems. Last year alone over 20 people were killed within 4 blocks of our house in gang related shooting and attacks.

Anonymous said...

Yay for a great house, location, and school situation. God is good!

-Melodie

A Family said...

That's great news and your new place sounds wonderful!

Chris