We bring a whole new meaning to "Blended Family"... The story of how we found our way home together.

Friday, February 8, 2008

UnOfficially Tagged!

So Brandi couldn't name all the people she wanted to tag and she happened to mention that she wanted a few of us to do it even though she didn't officially tag us.

I like to think of myself as a renegade so here goes nothing!

1.  I HATE it when people call me religious!  I absolutely hate it.  Let me explain.  One of the dictionaries explanation of a "religious" person is as follows:

"A Person Bound By Monastic vows"  

Now last time I checked, I'm not a monk, nun, or catholic.  When someone does something religiously every week, the same thing over and over again they are religious.  Now there is nothing wrong with that, but that is not me at all.  I have a very deep seated faith in God.  I put my trust in him completely.  I believe that God can be found in me and all around me.  I don't feel that I HAVE to go to a church every week to find God.  He is here with me right now, laughing cause here I am once again stirring up trouble.  Now before you get your knickers in a twist, I go to church.  Getting into the word helps to strength my relationship with my king, my father, my partner.

2.  I have three tattoos, and yes I plan on getting one maybe two more.  

The first one I got when I was 19.  It's a celtic cross on my back with a dove landing on it.  It's beautiful if I may say so.  

The second one I got when I was 20.  It's on the top of my right foot and is the color of a henna tattoo.  It's of a dove.  It reminds me on a daily basis to walk by faith.  

The third one I got a few days after Isaac and I got home.  It's on my left wrist and it's the latitude and longitude of Monrovia, Liberia West Africa.  It's a constant reminder of where God will take me if I allow him to.  I'll add to this tattoo for each of my children.  

When I get married, I'm going to tattoo "Mo Cuishle" on my ring finger.  It means, "My darling, my love"

3.  I believe that it is more important to show Christ's love to people through your actions than to preach at them.  I know I am causing a stir today, but you asked Brandi.  Nothing makes me madder than when "Christian" groups go into a country that is desperate for help, they spout how much God loves you then leaves the people hungry, frightened, and alone.  

If you want to lead someone who is hungry to God's love, give them some food!  

If you want to show an abandoned child that someone hears their cries, hold them close to your heart and pray silently over them all the while telling them how much you love them.

If you want to build up someone's soul who has no home, put a roof over their head.

If you want quench the thirst of poverty, give someone clean drinking water.

It's so simple.  You have to meet the needs before you can preach.  You HAVE to live by example before they are going to believe a word you say.  Your actions WILL speak louder than words.  Why do you think people like Angelina Jolie are making such a huge difference, why people listen to her.  Because she puts her actions where her mouth is.  Maybe more Christians groups could learn from her.  Just a thought.

4.  I have a deep seated love for all things adventure.  I haven't up to this point done a whole lot, but I have a list that WILL be completed before I die.  I can promise you that not many things on this list would put me up for most responsible parent of the world award, but hey who cares, you live once and Isaac thinks it's cool.

5.  I have very few close friends.  It's funny me saying this when more than a 1,000 people visit this blog every week.  But when it comes to life and death friends, those that would drop everything to be at your side in a time of need, I have very few.  But the secret is I don't want anymore.  I cherish the ones that I have.  They have stood by me and my decisions through thick and thin.  They have never let me down in anyway.  I can count them on one hand and I still have fingers left over, but I wouldn't trade them in for 10,000 others.

As a side note, I tend to be very very loyal.  It takes some serious work to find a way for me to give up on you.  Those in my life have to go above and beyond the call of duty for me to walk away.  I would rather be torn apart and hurt than to leave someone I love, even if they deserve it.  I will stand by those in my life till the death.  

I am also very very opinionated, stubborn, hard-headed impatient, and driven...which makes me a peach to be around when I have my mind set on something!

So that is all I can think of for now.  I'm sure I've lost at least a 100 readers!

15 comments:

randie & doug said...

Jocelyn...i love your tattoo signifying africa. I have a tattoo on the top of my right foot also signifying my three birthchildren. I really want one more to symbolize my children from africa. just not sure what to do yet. yours is a pretty cool idea. i'll have to keep thinking of something creative. :)
randie

Anonymous said...

I'll read three times this weekend to make up for anyone you have lost!!
Love ya ! Denise

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVEN'T LOST ME AS A READER...AND I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID:)

Soltana said...

Girl you say what you want... if no one likes it..find something else to do!!

I love your blog and your cutie little man!!

LOVE your tattoo idea!!

Rebecca said...

aaaaamen! i loved what you had to say!

Brandi said...

You are TOO funny! I completely agree and don't really think those things are all that weird, ya know? I guess some might find the danger and tattoos weird. . .hmmmm. . .I have one little tattoo and have really been wanting one of the shape of the continent of Africa. . . I just don't know where?

Love ya,
Brandi

Julie Redman said...

the tattoo idea is awesome! i have never considered one until now. Maybe for my 40th bday this old lady will get africa placed somewhere over the wrinkles.
julie

Tymm said...

I love it - love every word ya wrote and wish more Christians would be willing to say it and do it.

Rock on. Love the tattoos - got 9 myself - planning on another one to honor our son Brighton Asher - we were to bring him home from Ethiopia in April but he passed away in January.

Keep writing what ya write - ya got me as a reader!

Tymm
www.babyhoffman.com

Jami J said...

No Way would I stop reading your blog. I appreciate your heart for things you believe in. It takes guts! I'm here reading for the long haul! :)

missy said...

I'm totally getting a tattoo this spring with my mother in law. I've been thinking about it for years. Here's what I want to get:
forget me nots ( a viny sort of bluish flowery thing ) in the shape of a cross with the red thread going through it. I ran across the red thread proverb when I was researching Chinese adoption, so I have always loved that you had it on your blog. Anyway, the forget me nots and the cross are so I will always remember what Jesus has done for me and the life lessons he has taught me, and of course the red thread is just an acknowledgement that there are people that I am destined to meet. I mostly look at that in terms of future adoptions. Anyway kind of a past/future sort of tattoo.

I love your idea of the one on your wrist. Too cool.

I always knew that when I got one, I wanted it to be a conversation starter that could lead to talking about Jesus.

Anyway, back to your post. I don't think you're all that weird. I absolutely HATE the words religious and religion. That's not at all what I'm about.

This should have been an email and not a comment. So sorry for the length, but I'm too far into it to quit now.

Love,
Missy

Anonymous said...

Way to speak your heart. I totally agree with number 3. You cannot expect hungry, impoverished people to listen to you about Christ's love for them if you are not showing them. Christ fed the starving crowd, then taught! Way to go!

Blessings,

William's Mom

Frank said...

Uncle Frank responds,
Hey sweetheart I love and agree with most of what you say.
I just don't look forward to hearing you in your mid 40's complaining about the wrinkly skin tattoos you got in your impulsive 20's and how expensive it will be to get them off.
Remember ladies what is smooth now, will shrivel later. Oh I forgot your in CA. No nukes, no alar on apples...etc. But plenty of silicone and botox to firm, shape and perfect what God has created.
In a few years will all the graveyards be declared toxic waste dumps when they bury all of the comestic surgery recipients? I mean would they have to get some EPA sanction to be place in the earth? Could Botox be a danger to the water supply?

junglemama said...

Actually, you just gained a reader! :)

Vanessa said...

Jocelyn, I LOVE #3~~that's the most truthful thing I have ever heard any blogger say!! I LOVE going back to Guatemala, where my DD is from, and giving back to the people there!! I don't ever speak about religion because they vary so drastically there in the Mayan villages, but I do hold each one dear to my heart and pray as I visit with them!! I'm going on mission trip #2 in June to work at a school so stay tuned on my blog for more info!! If you ever return to Africa for a mission give me a heads up and I would LOVE to go!! It's always bee a dream of mine!!
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Donna Barber said...

Amen sister!! I couldnt agree more and now I am off to do my tag so that I can say I did it- ok Brandi!!!