Today marks our 2 month anniversary in the hospital. If you had told me July 8th that I would be faced today with all that has happened I would have laughed at you and said "Yeah Right!"
Today the harsh reality of this situation has hit me like a ton of bricks. I have begun to think long term, where before I was only thinking about the present here and now. What can I do to not only help Isaac's continued recovery, but what can I do to help him where no recovery will occur. (When spinal cord injuries are the cause of paralysis there's a short window usually between 6-8 months for healing and recovery, continued issues that persist after this window closes will be carried throughout life and in most cases don't ever get better! I was informed about this today... I love how they don't tell you this when you start physical therapy... they wait till you are 2 months in...)
It's a hard reality to swallow but one that I am trying to face. One of the options that has come up is to have a service dog trained for Isaac. There are service dogs called "Mobility Assist Dogs" as well as "Walking Dogs" these dogs are trained from a young age to assist their owner in walking. Their job is to make sure their owner maintains their balance (countering their weight when balance is lost) and to make sure they don't fall down. Think of it as a living, breathing walker or crutches.
After speaking to Isaac's doctor and therapist, I have begun to look into puppies that would fit the bill, mostly of the German Shepperd variety.
They're still saying that Isaac will be discharged on Sept. 18th. After that we are flying out on the 20th (or so) to Philly to visit with our family and just decompress... Then it's back to L.A. so that Isaac can start up at school at the beginning of October (he's so excited to go back to Bay Laurel and see his friends and teachers).
One of the blessing in all this has been our insurance group. CIGNA Healthcare HMO (who I acquired through a COBRA plan) has footed every bill and procedure, and we found out today that they are going to cover the cost to have a custom wheelchair built for Isaac (for those that don't know these cost upwards of $4000). The chair will be light weight and built to Isaac's size and needs. It will be NO cost to me what so ever... they are also going to retrofit our house so that Isaac can get around as easily as possible.
So while there has been some disheartening news as of late, there has also been some amazing news as well. Here are some photos from the last week!
6 comments:
I believe God's report about Isaac's progress trumps Dr. Craigs
report.
So there you have it.
GMom
That's why I have you in my life to keep my mind on the right track!
I have reread the last post a few times and am not clear about what you are saying. Are you telling us Isaac will not walk again or he might not walk again? I'm with GMom too. I can't beleive after everything he has gone thru, that would be the out come. I will pray and ask everyone I know to pray for him.
RJ
Awesome that your insurance company has been so great - you don't often hear good insurance stories.
I"m praying for you guys :-)
I"m praying for you guys :-)
Post a Comment