Over the last 72 days I have watched my son go from ICU to a recovery floor, to the rehab wing of CHLA. When we finally arrived in the PT/OT wing (code-name: The Dome) he couldn't even sit up in a wheel chair without crying out in extreme pain and frustration and his legs couldn't do much of anything. It took a few days, some serious pain killers, and some gentle coaxing by the amazing Dome nurses and therapists to get him going, but sure enough they got him up and "moving".
Over the next weeks and months, we had our ups and downs, days of progress and days of frustration. days of tears and days of the occasional smile. I watched as my son went into his shell and finally started to come back to me. Even his intense smile that he's so well known for disappeared for a while. But then slowly one day I saw it for just a moment. Then again and again. And today the day we leave this place, his smile is back. Plastered on his face as if it never left.
Before surgery he could run, walk, snowboard, play... now he has strength in his right leg, but not much in his left. He can stand and has fairly decent balance, but needs to be spotted by an adult. He can crawl on all fours with the speed of a cheetah, and his upper body strength would rival Mr. Universe. We still have months of outpatient PT in our future, but at least when I wake in the morning, he'll be there with me.
This summer to make up for the summer we lost, we are going to road trip! We're going to start in the desert to rock climb, then heading north to camp under the canopy of the giant Redwood Trees. Then head into the city to eat some Chinese food in San Francisco's China Town, then it's north even further to Mt. Hood, Oregon where we are snowboarding for a week. We'll then follow the Ocean down the Pacific Coast Highway and find our way back home.
It may seem that some of these activities will still be out of reach, but I believe in the healing power of faith and hope. And lets be real we have 72 days to make up for!
9 comments:
THAT is an awesome plan. If anyone can do it your little fighter can!!! Angel
Yeah Isaac!!! Welcome home :) So glad this part of your journey is now behind the 2 of you and I look forward to the posts that will come next summer when we hear of all your roadtripping adventures.
many blessings,
kathi Baillie
Yeah Isaac! I'm so glad you're going home.
Happy homecoming!
Glad that Isaac finally gets to go home! Glad that you are going to be in our neck of the woods next summer--would love to play tourguide. Praying for strength in those leg muscles so that Isaac can be running through the redwoods next summer and snowboarding.
Go Isaac!! We have a box of goodies to send if you could email me the address. If you find your way by Chico on your roadtrip, let me know! We are 1.5 hrs from Mt. Shasta and Shasta Caverns and have two spare bedrooms if you need a place to sleep.
Hi,
Are you the founder of Redeeming Waters Int??
Kate
We are on the route home from Oregon - we are on Highway 1 (PCH) south of San Francisco. I have 3 sierra leonians and 3 liberians that would love to see you guys on your way home next summer. let me know and you can stopover - and play. Petra
Jocelyn,
I'm so glad that Isaac is out and you have a wonderful plan for the next year. Thank you for your wonderful example of strength--Salomae went in for surgery last Thursday and all went well. I so appreciate your candor and advice--I believe it helped ME have more confidence in our doctors.
Still praying for the two of you (once life settles, I'm going to mail cards that my kids made for Isaac a while back...).
apryl
Post a Comment