I stood on the porch of an orphan home in Paynesville, Liberia and waited. It was only a minute or two but it felt like an eternity. Then through the door walked the tiniest 7 year old boy I had ever seen in my life. My first thought was NOT "my son!" It was, "good God he's tiny, I wonder if he has dwarfism and no one told me. Hum...." I know what your thinking, not really PC. But those were my first thoughts and they will forever be burned in my memory. My second thought was "What do I say?"
I couldn't figure this one out so he and I just stared at each other for a few minutes. Nothing was said between us. Just utter, unbearable silence. Until he looked at me and said, "you my ma?" I looked at him and all I could say was "yes."

16 comments:
"You my ma?" Hehe, that is precious!
Nikki
The sweetest little cutie ever.
:0) Angel
That is so precious-- "You my ma?" AWwwww.... Happy 1 Year Anniversary!! :D
i love the last one
Sigh...I remember that day... The funny thing is, the first time Isaac was ever brought to AoH I thought he had dwarfism as well! You did great the first meeting, though. I thought it was so good that you brought the photo album which was the perfect ice breaker.
Warm fuzzies:-) Happy anniversary!
Happy Anniversary. What a blessing he is and you to him.
too cute!
ya made me cry!!! love, denise (it seems like yesterday...man, what a year.)
Oh my goodness, I can't believe it's been a year. WOW!!! You used to think "time flies when you're having fun" didn't you? But actually, "time flies when you're a mamma". oh my, didn't mean to make it sound like being a mamma isn't fun....oh, you get it..
what a great first conversation! i love it!!!!!!!!
Such a sweet first meeting!! Happy 1 year!!!
kt b
Happy Anniversary!!
I remember that porch!! Seems like yesterday, but was 9 months ago now! I've been thinking about you!
I remember that day too!!! Only it was you coming back to the Sheppard's telling us all about it;) Hard to believe over a year has now passed?! What the?
~L
The you my ma quote brought tears to my eyes...but that doesn't make me less of a man. Sucker
Post a Comment