When I think of where my life has taken me so far, a little smile comes across my face. I set goals as a young girl, that I wanted to accomplish in my life.
They weren't huge dreams, or completely out of reach, but they were perfect for me. They met my needs spiritually, physically, and mentally.
I have accomplished all but two. One of which is to adopt a child from Africa.
I have wanted to adopt since I was 9 years old. My life was changed when we housed a couple of children from the African Children's Choir. As I got older my heart got bigger and bigger for Africa. It's not something I can explain, because it's a feeling, something you have to experience first hand.
I decided that I would hold off adopting till I was 27 or 28. I didn't want to adopt a child as a single woman. I wanted a partner, someone to share the ups and downs with. But the day I saw Isaac's picture, I knew in my heart, he's it. The one, no doubt about it. I waited for months to see if they found him a two parent home, and they didn't.
Then one Monday morning I woke up, and I wasn't scared anymore. I felt like God was saying to me, "you won't do it alone, you'll do it with me."
I was okay with that.
God said to care for the orphans and the widows. Isaac is coming with a whole slew of problems. He will need surgery on his spine, he's 6 years old, so I have no idea what emotional pain he lives with. These things scare me to death. But I know that I have the greatest partner in the world to raise my son with.
I have a network of close Christian friends, who I know will be there for me along the way. My mom says that "if God gets you to it, he will get you through it." I believe that with all my heart.
So that may have answered your question or may not have, but it's my answer. God made a promise to me is Isaiah...and I will live by it, through this process, and as I raise my son.
Isaiah 40:27-31
Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God"?
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He give strength to the weary, and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord, Will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; They will run and not grow weary, They will walk and not faint.
8 comments:
thank you for sharing your verse from isaiah and your mom's words of wisdom. they are sooooo what i needed to hear this morning. i understand how it feels to wait while you love someone across the world.
my son had surgery for his cerebral palsy at Shriner's hospital in st. louis and we saw several children there that had had surgeries like isaac will need. they had to wear "halos" on their head which was attached to traction to keep their spine in alignment. i dont know if there is a shriner's hospital near you, but i just wanted to pass along that they provide orthopedic surgeries free of charge and i know in st. louis they were top notch and have made a world of differenc for our little boy aiden.
i have been praying for isaac ever since i saw his picture, i am so glad that you are going to be his mama!! it is so neat to see people answer God's calling and see the perfect matches of parents with children...it's the coolest thing.
greetings Jocelyn and Isaac! it is so awsome to see what God is doing in your life and how he is leading you. I'm blessed to know you. sending you love and light, grace and peace.
willa
Jocelyn,
I just want you know what an inspiration you've been to me as we've been deciding about Henry this past month. I actually sat down and read your entire blog... start to finish in one sitting!... a few weeks ago and it ministered to me sooo much! You should compile it into a book! I am blessed by your honesty, your courage, your dedication, your humor....
This post especially blessed me because you sum it all up so well. Thanks for sharing.
Bless you.
-Amber G. (Henry's momma) (oh how glad I am to be able to say that!)
www.skywardjourney.wordpress.com
Hi, I just wanted to let you know the impact reading "Why I Adopted?" had on my wife and me yesterday. First, some background, we are Canadians and have 3 children - a 7 year-old daughter (bio), a 3 year-old daughter (adopted from China), and a 10 month-old son (bio). We are Christians and have been struggling knowing what God wants for our lives as far as any further children go. We struggle between the options of having another biological child, adopting from China, adopting from Ethiopia or not having any more children at all due to financial constraints. We have been praying and asking for prayer on this subject. We also were touched after having two girls from the African Children's Choir billet with us. God, has independently, put in both our spirits, visions of us with a son from Africa. After stumbling across and reading your blog yesterday, I had tears in my eyes as I knew every word you said was a confirmation for us of what was in our hearts. I printed it off and brought it home to my wife and when she read it,she also cried and felt that it was an answer to prayer. We have called the social worker to arrange our homestudy and thus, have taken the first step to uniting with our son in Ethiopia. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It made a difference in our lives. -Melvin
Hi, you dont know me but I stumbled across your blog whilst looking for other adoption blogs.
Your reasons to adopt sound very much like mine!
You sound like an amazing person with a real heart for God and I have to say that your courage and strength in undertaking this massive 'adventure' of adopting as a single Mum has really given me strength and renewed courage that yes I can adopt as a young single Mum, that a can be a fab Mum with God beside me 100%. (I am adopting a little boy from Uganda)
Blessing to you and your beautiful son.
Thanks for being an inspiration!
I found your blog through another adoption blog and I've sat at my computer crying because you have such a big heart and a wonderful spirit.
God is with you and with Him all things are possible! Thank you for your sharing your amazing journey. Your son is precious!!
Tina
You don't know me, but I just stumbled across your blog today. You have blessed my day. It is wonderful to see someone with such a sweet Godly spirit reaching out to others. We went to Africa last summer, and the orphans there broke my heart. Thank you for sharing your story. I am going to add your blog to mine!
I just found your blog through facebook and am bawling big, happy,inspired tears. I'm a single mom of one and haven't ruled out adoption for #2 in the future. Thank you for sharing your take on your world.
Post a Comment